The Mandalorian as a spaghetti western

But pulse rifle? And when it’s more or less stationary?

It wasn’t just that bar, though. There have been several bar scenes and a couple times the lack of sound just caught my ear. The very first bar on the ice world sort of made sense it was pretty mellow. But you had the bounty hunter bar, and the bar from the 7 samurai episode, as well as Mos Eisley.

Like I said, it’s a nit pick.

It also took me a bit to get on board with the new music scheme, but I am there now.

1 Like

I think that was a conscious choice to emulate the old westerns though. When Clint Eastwood walked into a bar you could usually hear a pin drop.

4 Likes

You of all people should know the term of art is “Tapcaf”

shooting fish in a barrel. (Or is that blasting storm troopers in a sarlac pit?). It IS a spaghettie western. I thought that was the premise?

4 Likes

Been whistling Big Mandalorian Iron

8 Likes

Yeah Favreau hasn’t exactly been coy about it:

“I like the image of the Mandalorian because it really hearkened back to the Westerns and samurai films that had originally influenced Lucas,” Favreau said. “It’s a deconstructed version of Clint Eastwood in ‘The Man with No Name.’ That’s a great, mysterious, fun character to see the world through.”

4 Likes

Came here to post this. I found the spaghetti western trailer cute but too on the nose. This beautiful Marty Robbins parody works infinitely better imo.

1 Like

Never heard the term until just now! I guess I am missing a lot of the EU mythology…

1 Like

I suppose Boba Fett wasn’t the type to sit around in a dingy Tapcaf, when he already had cushy gigs working for imperials and hutts.

2 Likes

Yeah he was more of a “milk tea” kind of guy.

4 Likes

I can’t have been the only one: I kept thinking “but you are missing four, you only have three” during that episode.

2 Likes

Yep. I came in here to suggest that this trailer was “steamrolling a dead horse.”

3 Likes

Fantastico!

Ah, this is where you have to ignore real world tactics and remember what happens serves the story.

They should have had their heads down behind cover the entire time. Any poking out would have meant a trooper blast or 5.

If the story required a quick one shot to disable it, it would have happened. It also might be a case of armchair quarterbacking, they just didn’t think of it, while you the viewer, who doesn’t have the hindrance of everything going on around them, sees the clear solution.

Another nitpick was why the fuck was grating to the sewers… or rather storm drains (can you imagine raw sewage wafting up through the bar?) was impervious to a repeating blaster. Similar grating was blasted by Leia in the Death Star.

1 Like

Wasn’t that more often the bar was busy until he walked in and then it got quiet? That would have been cool if obvious, but in the examples I can remember it was pretty quiet from the start.

Maybe everyone is on their holovids playing games and chatting instead of talking to people. Kids these days.

That is the great Keith Mansfield.

3 Likes

It may be a testament to how spaghetti western the Mandalorian is that the trailer feels like that. The Mandalorian makes “Battle beyond the Stars” look distant from spaghetti western influence.

I’LL DO IT!!!

2 Likes
2 Likes