The mayor of an Alabama town is freaking out over the name of a coffee shop

Plus, Gulf Shores has a bit more of a party culture than Orange Beach, which is a quieter place. This is all very silly, but it’s no surprise that the sedate Orange Beach-ians are reacting like this.

4 Likes

And, for some extra perspective, this place has been there since the 80’s when the catholic church still had major sway in how Irish society acted.
(and Sinead O’Connor worked there before she was famous.) :clown_face:

7 Likes

If your 8-year-old has spent any amount of time with other 8-year-olds, they almost certainly have heard the word “ass” before. They probably don’t have an adult’s vocabulary worth of profanity quite yet, but they’re already started assembling their own dictionaries of dirty words.

14 Likes

I was in school at the University of Alabama when this company opened a location on the strip in downtown Tuscaloosa during the early aughts. City leaders had a similar reaction and nothing came of it. Which is exactly what will happen in this instance as well.

4 Likes

Beavis And Butthead 90S Tv GIF

“They said condom”

9 Likes

What are folks going to have to say about their coffee when it tastes terrible? “This tastes like donkey”?

10 Likes

Well, they wont be getting my tourism! Hmph!
EuphoricSmoothAmericancrocodile-size_restricted

8 Likes

There was a small takeaway place near St. Stephen’s Green that we tried called Big Ass Burritos. (This was in winter 2013.) It had all the necessary accoutrements that you’d find in the greater Los Angeles-area taquerias and the food was really good. We spoke to the young Irish restaurateur and we found out that he did his undergraduate degree UC Santa Barbara.

This was the sign that grabbed our attention:

The various hot sauces sealed the deal.

17 Likes

I was surprised to find these in the vending machines at work, even more surprised that nobody forced their removal:

cheeseburger-2

7 Likes

gawd, those things are awful!
i am sure the many i have eaten in the past will shorten my lifespan. never gave the name much thought, because when i would get them for lunch, i was living in Arizona.

11 Likes

Talk about confusing! “Big Ass” means “large donkey.” “Burrito” literally means “little donkey.” I demand to know what size of donkeys this establishment is claiming to sell.

22 Likes

12 Likes

I wish they still had it. I loved that taco. I could never find out why it was removed from the menu
@FloridaManJefe it was delicious: Scrambled eggs with a fried poblano chile, guacamole, escabeche carrots and shredded cheese. Served with poblano sauce on a fresh flour tortilla

6 Likes

My favorite was the Independent. Sadly, that left the menu a couple years back. I suppose the mushrooms were expensive to stock.

4 Likes

That reminds me. We used to always get a kick out of this place when I was a kid in the Bay Area.
Not sure why this is the only picture I could find…

6 Likes

guess you haven’t driven by a mall with a Dick’s Sporting Goods.
not to mention Dick’s Drive-in Burgers in Seattle. my buddy and i used to get high and get the munchies and say “let’s go get some Dick’s”.

7 Likes

I did, just not when I was a kid. I mean, it’s still funny, but not as funny as “Linoleum Dick’s” was to 10 year old me.
And as a Phish fan (though I’ve never been there to see a show) this year like most years they will be doing a run at Dick’s outside Denver. 4 nights instead of the usual 3. Speaking of Dick’s Sporting goods… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I was a kid there was a nearby sports stadium called the Sheepmount.

9 Likes

I have many questions but I’ll just let it go.

8 Likes

Equus asinus asinus.
I think asses were called that for a long time before arses were.

3 Likes