The meaning of "premium mediocre"

I did specify “homemade.”

Anything good can become ‘mediocre’ if no real effort or craftsmanship is put into it.

10 Likes

#GoldPlateTheMoon

6 Likes

Oh! Look! They’re doing low-brow/middle-brow/high-brow thing again! I particularly recommend the chart on 154-155 because it reeks of exactly this sort of article.

And self-awareness isn’t new. The chart I mentioned above was printed in 1949, and not in the Secret Protocols of the Elders of Highbrow but in Life magazine.

(Melz2: I apologize, I did not mean to reply to your post with this. I am not entirely sure how that happened, truth be told.)

7 Likes

Every once in awhile I’ve seen a beverage of some sort that’s “pumpkin spice” flavored and makes a big deal out of how it’s extra premium because it uses real actual pumpkin. And it’s always a terrible idea. No, your pumpkin-spiced coffee / beer / cider isn’t improved by the flavor of squash.

When I went to Australia a few years back, I completely blew the minds of people there by explaining the concept of “pumpkin spiced” things. To them, pumpkin is roasted and used as a savory item. Pumpkin spiced pie, coffee, donuts, etc made their gorges rise.

11 Likes

You probably ‘toggled’ the reply field when you didn’t actually mean to; it happens.

No harm, no foul.

3 Likes

True. But this seems mainly to serve as a way to take a shit on someone else’s efforts in lieu of doing better. It’s a way for post-hipsters to signal that they’re more authentic than thou. I guess these days if you say anything with unfounded confidence, it’s taken as fact. Well I don’t need it. I was mediocre before it was premium.

15 Likes

Premium mediocre is a writer showing perspiration on the page trying to make his own “fetch” happen.

3 Likes

I’m afraid bros can be just as basic.

11 Likes

Methinks that anyone who actually believes that incremental, barely noticeable superficial differences make anything “premium” has been sung the ‘advertising lullaby’ one too many times:

10 Likes

I was very relieved when I found out that baby food wasn’t made from babies.

14 Likes

I almost tagged my comment /marketing, but I knew you’d get the joke and fuck anyone who couldn’t.

3 Likes

I’d rather not.

:wink:

6 Likes

After reading this list, apparently “premium mediocre” is my jam.

13 Likes

Nor I…well, maybe with farm tools.

2 Likes

Premium mediocre is cruise ships

I’ve seen this “premium mediocre” thing making its way around the tubes, and I’ve got to assume the writer is thinking of the Carnival/Norwegian/Holland sort of discount, barely-bothering-to-pretend-to-be-classy, party cruise sort of thing, full of teenagers and angry families descending on buffets and drinking lite beer out of those meter-long plastic mugs.

Because cruises can get a wee bit nicer than Olive Garden quality.

12 Likes

“Artisan” pizza is just someone making the dough by hand and getting their veggies from the farmer’s market. The premium mediocre pizza place will have a newly installed wood burning oven and a reasonable, though not extensive, selection of mainstream “craft” beer.

Really GREAT pizza, of the handmade roman or neapolitan variety, never bills itself as ‘artisan’. It’s usually called “Al’s” or “DeGiovani’s” or some other name of an owner, or even better, the owner’s grandfather/grandmother.

7 Likes

Is it? I am not up on such things. I just see adverts for the “Galaxy S8” or whatever, and notice it is another smooth, jewellery-like device that really is not that well designed to survive rough treatment.

I remember when occasionally Lord Snowden and his wife would drop in at Ronnie Scotts, and it was the height of bad manners to notice. VIPs these days really do not understand how to have real class.

5 Likes

I know. I’m just imagining coming to these idiots that expect pumpkin to be in their pumpkin-spiced lattes and smooshing some spoonfuls of canned pumpkin in the coffee and demanding that they drink that now and ENJOY IT!

5 Likes

That article just raises more questions!

That means he’s gay, right?