The meaning of "premium mediocre"

Good, now I don’t have to say this.

1 Like

Wait…It’s NOT!!!

false god damn advertising dammit!!!

4 Likes

Yep. I think people somehow read the flavor “pumpkin spice” as “spiced pumpkin” - but it’s not that or it would be called that.

Sadly, I understand Starbucks has now added pumpkin to their ‘pumpkin spice’ ingredients to quell the dummies - which is silly. It’s like adding crushed up tacos to a taco spice recipe.

Also, just so everyone knows, Allspice does not in fact contain all-the-spices - it merely tastes like a few of them.

6 Likes

I know it’s cool to shit on Starbucks, but the mobile ordering was really useful when I lived in a large city. Walk in, grab your iced coffee, drink it on the escalator so you don’t get tased by the mall cops metro police, enter your train amped up listening to judge john hodgman and not thinking about how many people didn’t wash their hands after wiping their ass then touched this very pole…

3 Likes

Premium mediocre is my used Nissan Leaf.

5 Likes

India Pale Ale

5 Likes

You mean like Kit Kat filling?

Why no onebox? blergh.

Edit, perhaps it was quora.

5 Likes

when you get your Toyota Corolla’s oil changed at Jiffy Lube.

6 Likes

I can only aspire to premium mediocrity.

Probably medium premiocrity at best.

2 Likes

Well, if you buy into the Gender Binary, sure.

1 Like

Not a bad Lacan/Barthes style analysis.

But I am not sure I buy it all. Starbucks for example: yeah, they have mediocre coffee, charge too much for it, and have fru-fru coffee jargon and a smidgen of attitude about it. But really, all it is is filling in a market niche that is somewhere between $10 coffee at a hotel you can’t afford, and $1 coffee at the gas station. It’s not really a lifestyle statement though because nobody you want to be impress will be impressed by your patronage of Starbucks. They are everywhere and they are too much consumed to be a mark of distinction. There are probably some holdouts still though who just don’t patronize these kinds of places because they aren’t susceptible to the “don’t you want to trade up to $4 coffee” sell and they aren’t beguiled by the ambience and 'tude even a little. So for them you are a poseur and a dumbass for paying too much for your coffee and calling the shortest cup “Tall.”

4 Likes

Premium mediocre is identical hardware in a handmade wooden enclosure instead of a plastic enclosure.

3 Likes

Premium mediocre is a paint job on a DeLorean.

The kind of folks who think of people as a dumbass for ordering a small coffee called a “Tall” probably don’t know that the smallest size at Starbucks is actually the “Short”, but the 8 oz size isn’t very popular, so they don’t bother taking up menu space with it. So in that context, “Tall” for one size up from Small makes sense.

1 Like

This concept and the examples provided are fucking delightful.

6 Likes

Premium mediocre is selling your artisanal yogurt in single serving sized glass containers.

7 Likes

You say that but I’m a bit sad it doesn’t

5 Likes

That’s not snobbery. Those places aren’t even cheap! You’ve chosen wisely.

4 Likes

Gayish?

2 Likes

that’s rough, i mean, i like veggie grill because it’s essentially a vegan/vegetarian mcdonald’s. and one of the only places you can get the beyond burger (aside from the grocery stores that carry it).