The media manipulators who poisoned the coverage of the Dakota Access Pipeline also sold us the Iraq war

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/24/crisis-communications.html

It’s fossil fuels.
Don’t even try to tell them “no.”

4 Likes

It would be wonderful if this was reported on when it was happening.

9 Likes
4 Likes

Do you think it would make a difference? I don’t. The pro-pipeline side did a better job of telling their side of the story and were able to marginalize the anti-pipeline people. The bigger story is that it was a conflict that too few people really cared about.

You can’t expect people living in Oklahoma literally surrounded by a web of pipelines to feel any sympathy for a pipeline for the people of ND.

In this particular case it may or may not have made a difference, but in a “closer” scenario it could have made all the difference, and it is important to keep reminding people who the real assholes are until they are shunned, tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a pole.

3 Likes

It’s also unfortunate that the hard work of so many Defenders was marred by those who came from out of state with no purpose other than to cause destruction (IEDs, etc.) and harass locals (dead/wounded cattle, keyed vehicles, etc.). The whole event was a contest of who could have the most ridiculous media support.

“Manipulators” seems like too nice a word.

How about lying sack of shit propagandists?

9 Likes

I don’t think you will find much agreement on who the assholes were in this story. I’ve flip-flopped about 5 times myself.

2 Likes

Next time someone tells you there ISN’T secret meetings to do evil, send them a link to this group.

2 Likes

Note the talk page of the DCI group on wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:DCI_Group

“I work there, and this page really needs to not dwell on the shitty things we do”

I see what you’re trying to say, but something to consider is that the idea that the information can get out there and that it can make a difference is exactly why these firms exist in the first: damage control (including pre-emptive).

If there wasn’t a chance that an alternate message could make a difference to the outcome then the companies behind this project wouldn’t hire the PR firms.

Conversely, PR firms have to be more and more specialized because as consumers (broadly speaking) become more knowledgeable and literate they have to increase their game, too.

Food for thought…

2 Likes

I often forget how this is one of the best and one of the most original movies made in the last 20 years. Spiderman, Superman, Batman and other “men” got nothing on this. Thanks for reminding me of that.

1 Like

Yes, I think if a news report on the pipeline had something about “this view is presented by the same firm the government hired to sell us on invading Iraq” whenever they repeated a manufactured talking point from that media firm, people may have reacted a bit differently.

2 Likes

Definitely assholes on both sides, including false flags planted aplenty. (A hint, if you’re ever not sure just follow the money.)

I don’t think there’s anything intrinsically bad about a PR firm. Companies hire them for the same reason they hire people to do other non-core jobs. Where I work, we don’t have an in-house plumber or HVAC person. When those systems need attention, we hire a contractor. Same goes for PR.

I don’t think anybody is surprised pipeline companies used PR firms.

It’s not that they are a PR firm, it’s that they are a PR firm that has been caught red-handed using subversive and blatantly illegal tactics previously as well.

Do you have more information on that? This is the first I’ve heard about illegal tactics. Do you know what the outcome was? Were there any convictions?

Hard to show much when the provocateurs are on the “catch and release” program. :slight_smile:

Not to defend scumbags but…
It’s on the media to check their sources out before reporting. That after they care about accuracy.
People will always lie for money. Journalists are supposed to catch the lying, not echo it mindlessly, irresponsibly.