The Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual

If you read the manual, you’ll see why. It can be outfitted with several exterior cargo pods. This is referenced when Greedo corners Han in the cantina.

Greedo says to Han: “He has no use for smugglers who drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.”

The pods attach to the outside of the ship. There are also other ways to configure the YT-1300 to include internal storage compartments. (Also in the book.)

Many custom variations for the YT are in fact covered in the book. :smile:

There is something very right about the manual for this ship being Haynes. Looking at the Amazon “customers also bought” section there is something very wrong that the Death Star and Federation Starship manuals are not internal documentation.

I wondered about that for ages before realizing the obvious answer: AT-ATs.

I stand corrected; I’ve been sent to go scrub out some Jeffries tubes now.

Does it have an entire chapter on the chewing gum, paper clips, and duct tape used to hold it together?

Please. This is Star Wars. It’s Tyvakkian chew-paste, flimsy-clips, and bantha tape.

Eh, I’m just being an anal-retentive Trekkie. Nothing to get your polarities reversed about.

It’s not going anywhere bantha-tape or no, after Batman stole the hyperdrive after being disappointed that the crew was all dudes – even the hairy and metal one.

I really like it that when Luke and Ben get to docking bay 94, Solo is outside casually wiping things down with a rag. Maybe this manual explains what, exactly, he was doing.

Haynes manuals always have “a suitable tool can be improvised”.

I hope that one has step-by-step instructions for adapting carbon dioxide scrubber canisters!

During the director’s commentary Lucas said something about calculating shortest route through hyperspace yadda yadda bullshitexplanationcan’tjustadmitamistake.

1 Like

Is this thing made out of aluminum or not?

Now now, retcons and no-prizes have a long and illustrious history in sci-fi. What’s been published can’t be unpublished*, errors or not; but you can come up with a clever way to make the error make sense.

*Barring Special Edition bullshit, but that was still far in the future at the time.

Yeah, he also tried to sell it that Solo was bullshitting about the capabilities of the Falcon, and gave the old desert rat and the farmboy some totally made-up lie about his ship, figuring those two would swallow it.

From the ol’ Wookieepedia:

In the revised fourth draft of A New Hope in 1976, the description for "Kessel Run" is put as follows:
"It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!"
Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation.
So it implies that the puzzling speech of Han Solo is "misinformation" and not truth, and it has nothing to do with the nature of the Kessel Run in any respect. Han means nothing other than impressing Obi-Wan and Luke with pure boasting. Indeed, even in the final version of the script, the parentheses attached to Han's line state that he is "obviously lying."

Yeeaaaahhhh, sure. If somebody’s gonna lie about the capabilities of their ship, wouldn’t they use a lie that was not only halfway convincing, but could conceivably make any sense at all if used to describe an actually fast ship?

My money says either Lucas himself didn’t know what a parsec was, or figured it sounded enough like a measurement of time that none of the seven-year-olds watching his movie would ever catch the error.

Just wish he could admit it.

I had one for my Sunbeam Alpine Series II - the most fun-to-drive car I’ve ever owned. The manual described how to remove the engine with a 4x4, a length of chain, and four stout friends.

Gaffi tape, I would think.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.