The mondegreen thread

That guy did a whole bunch of videos of metal songs. This was the follow-up to Fucking Hoffstyle (but on another channel because his copy desynched the sound and video at some point and he wasn’t bothered to fix it)

And there’s a playlist of the original videos that didn’t fall to copyright strikes over the years:

(EDIT to add, watching a bunch of these videos for the first time in a long time I was reminded there’s a bunch of casual homophobia and ableism, as disappointingly standard for internet comedy. So content warning for those bits)

1 Like

For the longest time I thought it was “miss” not “bless”. Not as bad as someone I knew who insisted it was “I took a train down to Africa”.

Makes me think of a scene from the Depeche Mode 101 documentary where Martin Gore is answering calls at a radio station appearance and a caller sings part of “People are People”. After which Martin says, “well, you got at least 3 of the words right”.

It’s best not to analyze that song too deeply. Then you’ll realize that it’s impossible to see Mt. Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti.

7 Likes

Also good. A lot less delta-v involved.

You know, this might even be why my brain came up with the other one.

5 Likes

Took me more than a decade to understand that Kate Bush wasn’t trying “to get into smaller places” when making a deal with god.
:slightly_smiling_face:

edited: that, not the, you twit.

5 Likes

Making it worse, IIRC that guy insisted on singing in exchange for concert tickets despite the DJ saying they had none to give away.

2 Likes

5 Likes

On a dark desert highway, Cool Whip in my hair…

4 Likes

From Led Zeppelin’s Black Dog: “I don’t know, but I’ve been told / the three-legged woman ain’t got no soul.”

2 Likes

4 Likes

This rendition of Depeche Mode’s Strangelove chorus is one someone I knew insisted was correct. 30 years later it can still make me chuckle at its absurdity. (Ableist slur has been redacted.)

Strangelove, strange eyes and strange nose
Strangelove, that’s how my love goes
Strangelove, will you give it to me?
Will you take the pain, I will give to you
Again and again, are you r******d?

3 Likes

Let’s catch some rays
down in Aaaafrica…

6 Likes

Oh, that’s a good one.

6 Likes

Always thought it went, “I love the nightlife/I like to boogie,” but TIL it’s “I got to boogie.” Not a big difference, but still.

Not quite a mondegreen, b/c deliberate, but…
A high school chum explained to me that if you listen to it the wrong way, The [English] Beat are singing “Do some drugs,” not “Twist and crawl.” Fuck if he wasn’t right. We LOL’d.

One of Tom Waits’ favorite mondegreens was his wife’s. She told him she’d thought Creedence was singing, “There’s a bathroom on the right,” not “There’s a bad moon on the rise.” :smiley:

My BF told me abt one of his mondegreens today, but I’ve spaced it. I’ll edit this when I find out again :smiley:

It’s soooo damn disappointing in a way when the misheard lyrics are a vast improvement on th’ original!

5 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

My BF’s fave mondegreen involves one Alice Cooper’s No More Mr Nice Guy. He didn’t yet have the album the song was on, so didn’t know the title. He thought it went, “No more Mr Night Sky.” tophat-biggrin

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.