Misheard lyrics

So tonight, for the first time, my father and I are trying a ready-meal of Jumbolaya at home.

The Carpenters song got stuck in my head, but badly:

“Jumbalayah, crawfish pie, filly-gumbo,
tonight I’m gonna see my perineum”

eh?

I’m also the only person in history to mistake the genius Kate Bush’s lyrics “make a deal with god, and get him to swap our places” with “get into smaller places”.

I know this is reminiscent of the Kiss This Guy website, but I couldn’t be bothered to open a new tab and I was hoping there were a few more of you out there with the same hearing problems I seem to have.

So if you have secret misheard lyrics to share, I think this is probably the best place for them.
(It’s not like anyone’s judging).

12 Likes

I also thought that was smaller places!

1 Like

It made some kind of strange sense at the time.

1 Like

“Hold me closer, Tony Danza”

(Tiny Dancer)

15 Likes

“Garden Man gets me to the church on time”

(Modern Love, Bowie)

9 Likes

I’m from the wrapped up like a douche generation, been singing that since the 70s.

6 Likes

Per @Simon_Clift , the term is a Mondegreen. Thanks!

6 Likes

Also, at about 1:30

“Feeling, like a ham and mustard shake…”

Actual lyric is “feelin’ like a hand in rusted shame”

5 Likes

Oops, missed this topic, moving it here…

Madonna: “Last night I dreamt of some bagels” … “I fell in love with some bagels”

Tell me you’ll ever un-hear that… :grin:

Yes, it’s a mondegreen, but a good one…

6 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah that’s the one.

But I was hoping we’d have a little fun in-house, as it were.
:wink:

5 Likes
12 Likes

As I don’t have a good proficiency in English, when I listen to singers like Michael Stipe, I end up confusing the lyrics and singing things that don’t make much sense.

8 Likes

She is so funny!

5 Likes

And fun!

(Sorry for the slight diversion, Radio Free Derp will now return to its regularly scheduled mishearings.)

6 Likes

To be fair, even if your English was immaculate, there are so many accents, slang-terms, mumbled lyrics etc. across the country it’s a miracle we can talk to each other at all. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Americans too when it comes to Stipe, especially REM’s early stuff.

9 Likes

That was an intro!

3 Likes

Native English speakers do too. Michael Stipe deserves his own category in any list of misheard lyrics. “Let’s see here, we have pop, R&B, metal, punk, and Michael Stipe”.

Here’s Eddie Vedder inducting R.E.M. into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; stick around until at least 2:50.

5 Likes

Don’t go round tonight
Well it’s bound to take your life
There’s the bathroom on the right.
– Creedence Clearwater Revival

7 Likes