The Monkees announce 50th anniversary tour, and new LP

Fun Fact.

Michael Nesmith was a pioneer in early videos. In fact it could be argued that he invented the video album. With “Elephant parts” on early laserdisk which was conceived for home video.

3 Likes

Loved the show as a kid and as I grew up started to appreciate the band more.

1 Like

And it was built by the Legendary Dean Jeffries!!!
NOT George Barris…

Really a shame that Dan Hicks’ passing did not merit an article on BB.

I was lucky enough to see the classic Hot Licks lineup three times in 72-73. Absolutely the tightest, swingingest band I’ve ever heard, nothing has touched them since.

1 Like

Loved the show as a kid, always liked the songs too, and Head is a great 60s movie.

But, I bought a compilation for the kids to listen to a couple of years back, after they got into the the TV show also, and was a tiny bit put-off by the… tone, I guess… of some of the songs. “Cuddly Toy” seemed to be kinda misogynistic, for example, for the freewheeling happy-go-lucky Saturday goofball heroes they present as on TV.

NB It was a double compilation, and that may have made the difference. CD 1 was solid gold.

Nesmith did some really nice work shortly after the Monkees broke up.

Didn’t his mother invent correction fluid? He also had a band before the Monkees.

I like some of his post-Monkees work.

1 Like

Hey! I LIKE Cuddly Toy! :slight_smile: Of course, it was written by Harry Nilsson. [The Monkees had awesome songwriting]

1 Like

sure explains the ‘is this creepy?’ vibe. Good tune indeed!

1 Like

I’m going to make sure I unmercifully tease my fifty-something sister about this. When she was a tweener, she would bore us all to death telling us just how dreamy Peter Tork was. That definitely needs to shared with her children! :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

For those who don’t know about Head, it’s a parody of the Monkees.
That stars the Monkees.
Written by Jack Nicholson, quite visibly under the strong influence of paranoia-inducing hallucinogens.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.