The Monkees recorded a new Christmas album

Gary Lucas has a wonderful version on Skeleton at the Feast - xmas/LDB was never like this

2 Likes

“Pah-rump-a-pum-pum”

You’re going to be humming it from now until Christmas. You’re welcome.

6 Likes

Damn you.

5 Likes

Gevalt…

A-total-total-one-red-dwarf-40252846-540-416

4 Likes

“Pah-rump-a-pum-pum”

tongue-tied-red-dwarf

5 Likes

1 Like
4 Likes

Wonderful Christmastime is empirical proof that evil exists as a mensurate force in the world, independent of cognition and social constructs. I think the devil was guiding Sir Paul’s hands during its composition and my soul withers a little every time I hear it.

ETA- for sheer holiday awfulness though, nothing beats The Christmas Shoes. You get most the of the way through the song and you’re thinking, “Well that was horrible, but at least it can’t get any worse,” and BAM! that’s when the children’s chorus comes in.

5 Likes

Ok, sort of true, but man you cannot tell me that Circle Sky does not rock.

2 Likes

There’s two versions of “Circle Sky.” They covered and modernized the original version from Head on an an album called JustUs, something like twenty years ago. IMHO, both versions rock. :wink:

But then again, the Monkees are in a weird kind of nostalgic sweet-spot for me. I remember watching them (in syndication) when I was in kindergarten. So I grew up loving their music, and I probably always will. I don’t really care how they didn’t play their own instruments or write their own songs at first. Monkees music makes me happy.

So this new album is great news. :grinning:

4 Likes

When you get down to it, there actually is one Christmas album you really need.

1 Like

From their last album. The Monkees playing a song by XTC’s Andy Partridge; what could be happier than that?

(Edited for linkage)

3 Likes

Somehow I don’t think you intended to be ironic…

22%20AM

Being LDBed tis but a pinprick - while the McCartney Paraponera Clavata sting will ruin Christmas Eve and Day

Astounded at this depth of rancor for LDB.

Did you LDB haters have clean drinking water as children? Dropped on your head once too many times? Have your souls been consumed by evil black maggots?

No wonder we can’t have nice things.

Explaining the Monkeys to my kids - "well, you know Big Time Rush?

1 Like

A normal earworm has a lifecycle. A growth phase, utter ubiquity, and then relative obscurity.

Christmas earworms are in your face for one month of the year, every year, whether you want it or not (in north america anyway). If I think about “In the Meantime” once every couple years, it’s a pleasant memory. If it got played in the malls nonstop for one month every year, I’d be sick to death of it

1 Like

Ah. I never go to malls, so… helps explain it.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. I worked in a mall for a while. The one I was at starts decorating and such around Halloween. They get one holiday tape and play it repeatedly. I don’t remember exactly how long the cycle was, but I can recall hearing the same song at least three times in an eight hour day. There are some songs on that tape I’m completely burned out on, even years later.

I was always fond of novelty music, a la Dr. Demento, but that time solidified my love of “alternate” Holiday music. The Monkees Christmas song I linked to above (see, it’s on topic!) was on Rhino’s Cool Yule collection.

I don’t hate LDB (there’s a lovely version1 on the album Hardcore Holiday ) but I absolutely loathe “Wonderful Christmastime.” It is a vapid stream of random notes and nonsense lyrics, drenched in weapons-grade sachharine and concentrated evil, IMHO. :smiling_imp:

1 I’d normally post a YouTube link to the song, but I won’t now, out of respect for those avoiding it. :wink:

1 Like