The most loved and hated TV finales, charted

omg, no - All Good Things brings me to tears every damn time!

Series Average: 7.9
Finale: 8.1

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure exactly what you could have done differently, but do spoiler tags really serve any purpose when youā€™re not saying what movies or shows will be spoiled if you click them? I donā€™t think there are many people that havenā€™t seen the first thing you were referring to, but I hadnā€™t seen the second one yet.

2 Likes

Fair point, sorry.

1 Like

A nice idea, but the presentation of the data sux for us colorblind folk. Red/green thin lines? Really?

1 Like

I wonder if thereā€™s a way to tweak a computerā€™s color display settings to push those into a part of the spectrum colorblind people can more easily differentiate?

Seems to test well under Spectrum (a chrome plugin that Iā€™m not sure I should trust.) Blue substitutes for green, orange for red.

1 Like

The color doesnā€™t convey any information you wouldnā€™t get from a monochrome version. All the right-pointing arrows are blue, all the left-pointing ones are orange.

Flash Forward should have been plotted out as a one-season show, converging to a known endpoint, and then should have ended. Unfortunately, they tried to have it both ways about whether the future could be changed or not, which was stupid, and then for the season finale they had a second flash forward, as, like, a cliffhanger or something.

And then there was no second season.

2 Likes

Iā€™m kind of surprised that the finale of the (newer) Battlestar Galactica was rated favorably. I was furious after I watched it, and I havenā€™t been able to take a television series seriously since.

I thought the end of Lost would have needed a whole new section on its own so as not to skew the figures but itā€™s surprisingly not that big a drop.

I guess, like @OtherMichael said, people were already used to the idea of expecting a steaming pile of bullshit after dragging themselves through that whole last season.

1 Like

There was no way that fans couldnā€™t be disappointed by the finale of Battlestar Galactica. They were writing themselves into a corner from day one.

Babylon 5 was written like a novel, with a beginning middle and end. The history of the B5 universe was mapped out 200 years into the past and future before the show went into production. Stories had to fit into the overall narrative. The producer firmly believed in the murder mystery standard that if someone gets shot, you should be able to go back and see the gun on the mantle earlier on.

With Battlestar Galactica, while the opening credits declared ā€œAnd they (the Cylons) Have A Plan!!!ā€, there was no plan. The ā€œFinal Fiveā€ was never part of an overall story; it was made up for the show it was first mentioned in, three seasons in. Who the Final Five were, was never planned in advance.

BG and Lost were written like the X-Files: Just keep piling on new mystery each episode. People will be hooked, wanting to see how it all gets resolved. But you donā€™t have to resolve it, since your pay is based only on the first run of the series. A big disappointment at the end is OK, as long as you keep viewers watching until the end.

5 Likes

It definitely wasnā€™t up to the rest of the seasons, but for a long running show it did pretty well. They clearly wanted to tie up the loose ends instead of just leaving everything all unresolved.

I pretty much agree with all of this, and have said similar things.

Not long ago, I read a claim that one of the writers for BSG later admitted that theyā€™d composed a ā€œbibleā€ that covered the first few seasons, up to the New Caprica arc, but after that, they just winged it. That explains why many fans felt the series went well up to that point, but then started stumbling. But the fundamental criticism remains: they implied there was a full story in which weā€™d eventually understand what it all meant, but there was no such story.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the main reason people are still pissed off at Lost and The X-Files. Itā€™s one thing to say ā€œitā€™s the journey, not the destinationā€ but itā€™s another to promise the kids a road trip to Disneyland and then spend the next two weeks driving aimlessly around the country until you run out of gas money.

5 Likes

But the X-Files isnā€™t finished! The new series will tie it all together. It was always planned this way.

Is Life on Mars on this list?

3 Likes

And Twin Peaks. But it became clear pretty early on, comparatively.

1 Like

Yes, and that I liked. However what used to be conflicts that were threaded over 3 or 4 episodes suddenly became pat:
ā€œIā€™m upset about this!ā€
ā€œHere is the solution.ā€
ā€œAll better!ā€

(Also, after re-reading my earlier post, I apologise, it came off kind of snarky and rude when I was just in a hurry :gift:)

Looks like they did okay.

Iā€™m mildly surprised that The West Wing was a wash. It started so strong, but those last couple seasons just werenā€™t so great. And I donā€™t remember the finale redeeming itself particularly. Donā€™t remember it all, in fact. Guess I should watch it again.

1 Like

The ā€˜Alan Alda for presidentā€™ story line didnā€™t do anything for you?