The Most Perfect album: musical tributes to all 27 US Constitutional amendments

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/19/next-gen-schoolhouse-rock.html

3 Likes

I’m signing along! Join me BB’ers!

4 Likes

I can still recite the Preamble to the Constitution cuz the Schoolhouse Rock song from way back when (like 40 years ago).

Note though that they did drop a few words for the sake of scansion (“We the People of the United States of America, in order to form a more perfect union…”). As long as you remember that, though, the rest is verbatim.

1 Like

I’m singing along right now!

2 Likes

Never listened to this podcast, so I’m starting in the first year and I’m utterly hooked. My only problem is I need to get other people listening to it now so I can discuss this with someone who knows about it, otherwise I just look like a raving lunatic talking about Batson Violations and Native rights.

1 Like

Dolly kicks ass!

2 Likes

So satisfied, and not remotely surprised, to see They Might Be Giants here; it’s really their type of project. I imagine once they heard about it, John and John stared at each other, then simultaneously shouted, “Quartering of soldiers during peacetime!”

1 Like

It still ain’t, “SINCE NIN - TEN TWA-TEE!!! sista unite! O yyeeaaaaaaaaaAAAAAA!!!”

I mean I like Dolly. She’s a great song writer. Truly talented and did a good, job. It was catchy and I liked it but it just isn’t as good as that bad ass song I sang along to in my PJ’s dancing circles around my brothers on Saturday morning pointing to the floor with one hand puttin my other hand on my hip (thrust out, of course), “sure some men bowed down and, called us misses. Let us hang the wash out, and wash the dishes! We could cook the turkey. But we c-c-could not vote! What did we say sistas! We said–see ya lata–alligata. And dawn fahget ma mashed patatah, cause 'im gawin downtown ta cas my vote fah pres-a-dent !!! Aw we were sufferin (very dramatic here) until sufferage!! (More drama, lots of emoting) not a women here could vote no matter what age! Until the 19th amendment struck down that restrictive (way deep here) roooooolllle. (Go a little crazy) OH YEAH!!! now we pull down on the lever! And we endever (real fast here) to improve our country statecountytownandschool.” And yeah, every person I know around my own age can say (well sing) the preamble. That why we know the year too. “In seven-teen eigh-ty seven I’m told, our founding fathers all sat down.”

1 Like

I like Dolly Parton’s, but I’d also like for her to have covered “Sufferin’ Till Sufferage”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.