Trump's "God Bless the USA" Bible deletes women's voting rights and slavery amendments

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/15/trumps-god-bless-the-usa-bible-deletes-womens-voting-rights-and-slavery-amendments.html

9 Likes

At least it’s on brand.

While they were at it, did anyone notice if he also watered down the “thou shalt not steal” and “thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife?”

35 Likes

Makes me tired just to say it, but what’s the Constitution even doing in a copy of the Bible anyway?

38 Likes

I think that most of us would agree that we’re better off without the 18th. The others are keepers, though.

8 Likes

i came here to ask the same question. it really seems like the wrong place to look for it, especially given the separation of church and state

11 Likes

The 12th amendment that lays out Presidential elections may have been his real target.

13 Likes

Or that pesky 25th that his cabinet kept bringing up amongst themselves.

12 Likes

Pandering to people who believe that the USA is a “Christian nation” and the Bible is the foundation of its laws.

17 Likes

Those people also tend to believe the Constitution is as divinely inspired as the Bible is. We are not just a “Christian nation”, but we are a nation founded by Jesus and led by God.

15 Likes

I don’t believe this is a reprinting of the Wicked Bible.

6 Likes

They refer to those amendments as “the Apocrypha.”

13 Likes

Those “true patriots” claim the Constitution is a hallowed and untouchable document, but clearly they’re perfectly willing to chop it up and extract anything that isn’t fascist-friendly enough for their new Tangerine God. I fully expect a future printing to do the same to the actual holy book as well. Trump’s death cult has supplanted any other beliefs these people may have once held.

11 Likes

Waiting to hear that things like The Sermon on the Mount, The Good Samaritan, Love your neighbor as yourself, and other “woke” verses are being removed. Can’t have that woke nonsense in our racist fantasy, now can we? (/s)

15 Likes

Obligatory:

17 Likes

Some background courtesy of wiki:

The text of the [God Bless USA] Bible [created by Lee Greenwood in 2021] was intended to be the New International Version,[3] but Zondervan, the division of HarperCollins that owns the rights to the New International Version, withheld them rather than associate Christianity with U.S. nationalism…

Then Trump scooped them up.

14 Likes

Figures that Trump would tear down the one wall we DID want…

11 Likes

A lot of the people who are this brand of Constitutionalists love to venerate the original Constitution plus the first 10 Amendments as somehow being more sacred and more important than the later Amendments. However, legally, the 27 Amendments are literally part of the Constitution. In fact, the later Amendments carry more legal weight than the original document because they literally either change or add to what was in the original document.

Also, it’s fucking weird that some people treat the Constitution, any part of it, as a sacred text. It’s just a Constitution, folks. It ain’t written in stone. I highly recommend listening to these two episodes of Slate’s Amicus podcast.

20 Likes

Oh My God Omg GIF by VH1

they are attempting to justify a theocracy.

Tv Show Comedy GIF by HULU

13 Likes

Other countries actually amend the text of their constitutions. The US constitution has the so-called amendments tacked onto the end, so readers can ignore them.

On top of that, USians treat the constitution as a sacred text in the sense that they rewrite it by reinterpreting it to mean what they want it to mean because, being sacred, it cannot be rewritten.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t shocked if it was related to this:

9 Likes