The most prolific actor in Hollywood history

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/03/the-most-prolific-actor-in-hol.html

22 Likes

Indeed!

8 Likes

He’s one of those “that guy” character actors who has a distinctive look and voice but who also manages to make each role he takes distinctive and different. The guy was everywhere on TV and movies in the 1970s and 1980s, including his star turn as David Lo Pan in “Big Trouble in Little China” and scene-stealing roles like Chew in “Blade Runner” and the butler in “Chinatown”. So nice to see him still chugging away as a working actor at age 91.

I’m glad the article also mentions East West Players, founded by Hong and the late great Mako. It’s really a mainstay of the L.A. theatre scene, a great place to see quality productions.

40 Likes

Yep. For a guy with such a distinctive face, he manages to be someone else each time. Truly a great actor.

14 Likes

I don’t recognize his face, but after looking at his IMDB profile, I know exactly what his voice sounds like.

5 Likes

You hit both the titles I wanted to, Bladerunner and (most especially) Big Trouble in Little China. Absolutely glad to see he’s still hard at work, he’s a fabulous actor.

14 Likes

He can be seen in the upcoming Beast Mode:

‘Bad boy’ actor Huckle Saxton lets fame get to his head and turns into a ferocious beast, ripping Hollywood to shreds. Will he sink his teeth into the role of a lifetime or succumb to the dangers of the Hollywood lifestyle?

Beast Mode also stars Police Academy’s Leslie Easterbrook and 80’s “star” C Thomas Howell.

7 Likes

“Yes, we have sea-bass dinner tonight, very fresh.” - “The Chinese Restaurant”, Seinfeld

15 Likes

Came here to say, “Seinfeld party of four?!”

5 Likes

“Cartwright, party of four”

6 Likes

Obligatory

18 Likes

China is here, Mr. Burton. The Chang Sing, the Wing Kong, they’ve been fighting for centuries.

8 Likes
7 Likes

He even appeared in a p*rn movie (fully clothed) as a sinister character in one of those “plot-driven” films produced in San Francisco back in the 70’s

7 Likes

Like the late Wilford Brimley, I feel like James Hong has been 91 for quite some time already.

6 Likes

I can’t believe he’s 91 already.

Then I think back to all the roles he’s had, and he’d pretty much have to be.

It’s like Danny Trejo being in his late 70s.

8 Likes

I love how he agreed to cameo in that video but only if he was credited as “David Lo Pan” because according to James himself, there is only one true Lo Pan.

7 Likes

5 Likes

???

1 Like

What?