The most prolific actor in Hollywood history

Who died?

1 Like

My attention span.

16 Likes

:dies laughing: That’s so hilarious.

1 Like

The now defunct Youtube channel “No Small Parts” did a history of Hong’s career and it was awesome. He ended up taking it down due to a request from Hong… I think the concern was it borrowed to heavily from a documentary interview in parts… though at one point there was talk of using it to spring board and official documentary…

Anyway, he has quite the storied career.

I have signed pic of him on the set of The Shadow. It was an ebay find, but I don’t think people are making fake copies of his signature, and if they are, it isn’t for a bit character. He signs in both English and what I assume is Mandarin.

3 Likes

What does that mean? Huh? “China is here.” I don’t even know what the hell that means.

7 Likes

James Hong is one of the nicest celebrities I’ve ever met. Seven years ago, he did a meet and greet dinner the night before Portland Comic-Con. It was $100 or $150, and I figured we’d get some mediocre food, he’d come in and wave and sign some autographs, and we’d get to shake hands and chat for a few seconds.

It ended up at a nice little Chinese restaurant. There were less than two dozen people there, including his daughter and her boyfriend. We were there for two hours while Hong told stories and shared a video compilation of his career. It was actually his birthday, so there was even cake. And he took pictures with all of us, but insisted we take at least one where he could pretend to be feeding us or stabbing us with his fork.

It was by far the best time I’ve ever had at a comic convention event.

29 Likes

I swear he must have appeared as 20 different characters on MASH.

10 Likes

Cantonese. His parents are from Hong Kong.

5 Likes

In the credits: “Man In Elevator Lo Pan” !

4 Likes

Well, if we’re going to get persnickety, both Cantonese and Mandarin use the same characters. It would probably be most accurate to say that he signed his name in Chinese, or perhaps hanzi (Chinese characters).

4 Likes

I thought he “just did eyes”. . . apparently not.

5 Likes

He must get severe hand cramps from signing all those residual checks.

5 Likes

This really pisses me off!

4 Likes

Eric Roberts has 582 acting credits. Face!

1 Like

And only one good one!

5 Likes

Dude is 90? I had no idea! Maybe he really is Lo Pan?

4 Likes

Always a delight to see him in anything – or hear him, for that matter, as he’s done quite a lot of cartoon voices too.

2 Likes

Just to diverge a bit from the long-lasting awesomeness of James Hong, is there some predecessor to sea-bass jokes that they’re all referencing? Is it just a funny word? The earliest bit I’ve ever seen was from Shadow of the Thin Man in 1941.

3 Likes

As long as you don’t expect a normal human being, he can potentially be good. I enjoyed him as an advertising executive in The Coca-Cola Kid and (this may be heretical to some) The Master in the Doctor Who TV movie.

3 Likes

But Star80 was probably the best showcase for him as an actor. He played it as this great combination of hustler, wannabe and believably psychotic.

A great performance seldom seen, in a film where the press at the time mostly focused on Mariel Hemingway getting her chest enhanced.

4 Likes