The much easier way to re-proof waxed cotton

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/05/the-much-easier-way-to-re-proo.html

2 Likes

Thanks. I have wondered what I would need for my duster when it comes to that.

2 Likes

Save around 2.5 hrs or more. A duster is a bit longer and has more fabric than a Trialmaster.

This is SO MUCH easier for corners and flap pockets etc.

3 Likes

Which my duster has aplenty. It sat in the closet for a long time thanks Littleton Colorado but I have been using it in the PNW wet for a few years now and it still sheds water just fine so it has been a pretty much a figure it out when I need to thing.

3 Likes

This stuff is really thin and a light spray every 3-4 rainy seasons would more than do it in Northern California. In SoCal I could likely just wave the bottle near it, like vermouth and a martini.

I apply a bit more frequently as mine is a motorcycle jacket that does see active duty (tho I avoid rain.)

1 Like

I used this waterproofer on the pop-up tent of a VW California. The fabric was worn and taking water in rain. It worked great, even though it was clearly visible (maybe I was heavy handed).

1 Like
  1. Yes, this would totally work on the OG canvas top for a Westy. I highly recommend replacing with a Sunbrella material. It blocks rain and wind a lot better than the canvas and may last forever.

2. You should see residue. Its wax. Means it is there.

3 Likes

This companies other products are great too, especially MiraZyme, an enzyme based deodorizer.

1 Like

I notice that the picture on the bottle shows a zipper, and I’m remembering that when I used to work at a drycleaner’s we applied a wax product to zippers that were hard to open/close.

So I’m guessing the Nikwax could also help the zippers on your coat slide more easily, if some was put on the zippers too.

1 Like

I’d use zipper wax. AquaSeal makes one that I buy for my drysuits.

1 Like

Nice. I have a Barbour jacket that’s over 25 years old. Using the Barbour wax out of the can is a total pain.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.