The Mysteries is a new graphic novel from Calvin and Hobbes creator Bill Watterson and John Kascht

Originally published at: The Mysteries is a new graphic novel from Calvin and Hobbes creator Bill Watterson and John Kascht | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I had been wondering what he’s up to lately, since the last I knew of was his guest cartoonist role on Pearls Before Swine (back in 2014).

11 Likes

As a classmate of Bill’s (my next door neighbor freshman year), I can safely say that i am an O.G. fan… so I quickly pre-ordered “The Mysteries”. Bill’s an immense talent, and those of us in the know knew it back then. He arrived at Kenyon almost fully formed. I believe it was during his sophomore (or junior?) year that he painted a replica of Michelangelo’s “The Creation of Adam” on the ceiling of his dorm room. The fact that he had to whitewash it over at the end of the school year is the stuff of Kenyon lore.
Oh, and for the hardcore Watterson fans out there, here’s one from our senior year (1980) feat. Tommy Chesnutt:

15 Likes

And here’s another “Tommy Chesnutt” poster created by Bill:

17 Likes

I find it astonishing that Watterson’s style was so recognizable and mature at such a young age. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if future art historians will try to lift the whitewash from the ceiling and restore the God Gives Life To Adam mural :smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.