The mysterious wild cats of Britain

ya-gotta-believe1

1 Like

I saw a large black cat just outside Cong, Ireland on my way to Ashford Castle. This was about 8 years ago - driving down the road in the early morning a big, dark-colored cat, about the size of a mastiff, say, was loping towards me. I knew it was a cat because of its silhouette, but also because of the way it walked and the way it swished its tail when it caught sight of me. Before I could get my camera out, it bounded into the woods.

When we arrived at Ashford Castle, we asked the falconers there ( you can go on a ‘hawk walk’ there, which is what we were there to do) what kind of large cats lived in the area. They insisted there were none. They’re all trained biologists so I have no reason to doubt them…but I saw what I saw! I chalked it up to the “lucky black bog cat” in local legend, but I definitely saw it.

3 Likes

X-Files__large%20cats

1 Like

Dagnabit. I thought this was going to be about Scottish wildcats. Disappointed.

5 Likes
2 Likes

www.bigcatsgb.co.uk my thirty years website on the subject has a main focus of potential none native big cat predation in the UK. Worth taking a look I’d suggest. Warning some pretty distressing images with overview of events presented. Regards Darrell

6 Likes

Man. I miss the Fortean Times daily weird news.

1 Like

Although they weren’t particularly small nor (presumably) live underground.

1 Like

British TV was full of them in the 70s.

4 Likes

I have the same reaction when driving past houses with things like this in front, near the road:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.