The neo-medieval beliefs of Senator Josh Hawley

Sorry, just a minor quibble regarding what hawley probably really wants

5 Likes

28 Likes

My wife (preacher’s kid, take that how you will) got into a theological discussion with a coworker a long time ago shortly after college. Not sure if the coworker went to college, but they were about the same age. Coworker states she is a “born again Christian” and the following conversation ensues:
Coworker says something anti-Catholic.
Wife: But they’re Christians, too.
Coworker: No they’re not. If they were, why’d they kill Jesus?
Wife: What? No they didn’t…
Coworker: Yeah, they did. It was the Roman Catholics.

22 Likes
1 Like

Although not talking about religion in the slightest, a former boss told me something I’ve never forgotten: “Doing the right thing is like peeing in your wetsuit. It might make you feel warm all over, but nobody will know if you don’t tell them.”

12 Likes

“ The fifth century church fathers were right to condemn this terrifying variety of heresy, Mr. Hawley argued: “Replacing it and repairing the harm it has caused is one of the challenges of our day.””

But they were Catholics and evil heretics according to your faith. I’m so confused.

11 Likes

You’re right about pre-Islamic Republic Iran, my point was simply that a society can change quickly under the right circumstances. It’s happened over and over again in many countries just in my lifetime. I’m especially concerned about the amount of popular support in the polls for the GOP has despite everything that’s happened.

5 Likes

…and made Premium Replacement Roman Late Antiquity Windows. [Dodges a thrown demo casing. And weep barrier made out of shinola.]

Yeah, sort of resembles the YouTube thing Jeff Sharlet linked recently for seein’, where a Capitol Policeman was supposedly waving the crowd in, so it might be okay, and the comments are all random scriptures and Trump cheers. Hard creep factor troubles.

13 Likes

And folding religion back into it, here’s a passage that has always stuck with me (it’s read every Lent).

Mathew 6: 2-4

So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

14 Likes

That is a true point.

Oh, me to. Trump’s support has apparently dropped to like 33%, but I don’t know about the party in general. The fact that they have any support after this is shocking and an indictment of the rank and file of the party itself.

12 Likes

Oh no. It took decades of repression with religion being the only native movement allowed free speech to get there

Well to be fair, it’s the same for Christianity. I mean Jesus was not a Christian.

16 Likes

Mm, how did that come about again?

10 Likes

I had a born again roommate in college. One time while having an argument with his girlfriend on the phone he said the first anti-Catholic thing I ever heard, “That’s trying to have it both ways, like a Catholic. They’re as close to pagan as you can get, and still call yourself a Christian.”

Being raised Catholic, I had no idea what he was talking about having it “both ways”, but clearly he was slighting mass.

I kind of regret not getting a statute of Mary and putting on my monitor after that.

9 Likes

No, thank you.

2 Likes

So the Catholics are the Romans, who are the Jews.

4 Likes

Well, even born again Christians practice Polytheism Light, 3 gods in one! But Catholicism really takes the polytheism light and runs with it, with a whole pantheon of gods you can pray to for miracles, whom the Church says aren’t really gods and who are like assistants to god or something and god does the actual miracle, even though the miracle is attributed to the Saint. It’s pretty convoluted for a “monotheistic” religion.

7 Likes

Here’s to hoping Mrs. Hawley looks good in aquamarine

2 Likes

The bible my Southern Baptist grandmother gave me as a kid was printed that way. Now there’s a movement based on that? :astonished:

8 Likes

I think the whole Red Letter Christian thing goes on back to Jefferson and the Deists, in fact.

[ETA]

11 Likes

No Warhammer memes yet?

1 Like