The new GOP talking point: FBI "planted evidence" during Mar-a-Lago search

I don’t think that’s the case. I mean, yes, there probably is some serious shit coming his way, but I think they would be bleating about planted evidence even if there was nothing there.

It’s an automatic reaction.

These people don’t care about defences, preemptive or otherwise. They care about keeping the shitstorm swirling around their marks so they keep ponying up the adulation and the cash.

ETA- I see @VeronicaConnor beat me to it far more coherently and succinctly.

9 Likes

Jeeze, he’s still on the Russia Hoax shit? Paul Manafort has admittied he was coordinating with Lavrov all along. It’s not a hoax, your own guy admitted it, dumbass!

16 Likes

So, trump is famously not much of a reader. He wasn’t up for reading intelligence when it was his day job. So he didn’t curate this collection personally. Who did? Did they have security clearance? What were trump’s orders for the person who did collect them?

11 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/into-the-storm-4/sharetoken/NzVHLUVhxvfH

It is probably best to say that we are back in one of those fugue windows Trump Republicans have, much like January 7th-9th 2021, in which there’s a period of relative silence while a story is devised to explain why something inexplicable and indefensible is in fact awesome and totally fine. They’ll get there. . .

" None of it matters. I didn’t mean the raid itself doesn’t matter. I wasn’t saying whatever the FBI agents were looking for wouldn’t matter. I have no idea. But the particular predicate and exigencies of the search or the decision to carry it out was never going to matter to the outcome of the 2022 election. Only the myopia of political commentators who read events of the day like entrails to divine the future would think otherwise. The population of voters who aren’t already hating or loving Trump and are going to be shifted in their political or electoral calculus by the relative merits of a court ordered search warrant don’t amount to a dozen people in the whole country."

6 Likes

Well, he’s not wrong that sleazy people were involved in all that… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

He will never stop on that…

12 Likes

Not as long as his crowds go wild when he says it. If one day, they just go ‘meh’ he’d have to find a new applause line.

4 Likes

Generally speaking, it seems like they’ll applaud for much of what he says, though.

5 Likes

The thing is, he didn’t, though. Government agents previously had to show up to cart away the other documents he had taken home illegally, and Trump was pretty quiet about it. If this were just a continuation of that, mopping up documents that hadn’t been turned over (still), I don’t know why he wouldn’t treat it the same way. He already got caught breaking the very law he signed and he didn’t deny it, so there wasn’t much of a point in pretending this time was different, unless it was.

If, as the Washington Post is reporting, he was holding nuclear secrets (with the highest classification levels), it’s pretty damning and Trump can’t remotely justify having them, so his only defense is to pretend he didn’t.

12 Likes

And instead, he’s trying to use whataboutism as a criminal defense against espionage charges.

I agree with his strategy. He should totally represent himself in court, too.

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

11 Likes

I guess it shouldn’t surprise me that he thinks “Christopher” is spelled with an “f” given that he once wrote his own wife’s name as “Melanie.”

7 Likes

Yeeahh, sometimes it is. Sometimes it starts with a ‘k’. Then a few weirdos go by “Topher”, which sounds as bad to my ears as

someone word GIF

10 Likes

Which is totally weird for a number of reasons, a big one being that what he’s saying about Obama is utterly, demonstrably wrong. Not that being completely wrong ever stops Trump from saying it, but it kind of loses its impact when it’s quite so obvious.

12 Likes

I mean, I’m reasonably sure Trump doesn’t come up with any of this on his own. Maybe without twitter he just doesn’t have as clever liars to echo.

9 Likes

Yeah, his modus operandi is to look at conspiracy theories online (or from those around him) and find the one he likes the best, make it his reality, and repeat it at every opportunity. Getting kicked off Twitter hurt, but I also suspect he’s too busy with legal cases right now to get any good nonsense to repeat…

5 Likes

Fair point.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.