The NRA spent $70,000 on a consultant to help Wayne LaPierre choose which mansion to purchase

Do you think an IRS investigation of whether the NRA violated the laws governing non-profit organizations would cost the IRS money or would actually turn a profit for the government in terms of fines imposed on the NRA? I know there’s no chance in hell of such an investigation under Trump, but maybe in 2021 if the Democrats take back the White House?

6 Likes

Talk about fucking irony and burying the lede!

3 Likes

In what world does a 10k sq ft mansion qualify as a “secret bolt-hole?”

4 Likes

Tell ya what, I’ll just go ahead and live in this mansion for, say, 90 days, then I’ll let you know if you should buy it or not.

-A Mansion Consultant

7 Likes

The bigger the space the easier it is to hide a bolt! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I think it is less likely under a Democrat than under a Republican in an only Nixon could go to China sense. The Dems would be too worried about the optics of being seen to attack a political enemy while Trump could end up investigating them in a fit of pique.

2 Likes

In any reputable organization, profit or nonprofit, these kind of shenanigans would lead to the perpetrators getting the boot and/or facing jail time for fraud.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Wait. He was afraid of getting shot so he needed to buy a big house. Where was he living before? In a city centre, in a sleeping bag, in the street?

5 Likes

It’s really terrible that he’s not in a position to do anything to prevent gun violence. /s

11 Likes

There misdeeds do pale compared to the chuckleheads in office, but their politicking have placed and kept those dangerously incompetent chuckleheads in office, so they deserve scrutiny.

2 Likes

Also if we completely ignore that they weren’t actually a “civil rights” group for most of their history, but a gun training and safety organization. It wasn’t until the '30s that they had any opinion on gun laws (and they were actually for them, because “gun safety”), and not until '75 that they actually started directly lobbying, much less lobbying against gun control. I’ve heard other howlers when the NRA talk about things they supposedly did (but didn’t, actually). The NRA is so fucking dishonest about their history, it’s amazing.

4 Likes

He also bought a fancy wardrobe because he was afraid of being shot.

It’s such a great catch-all excuse.

“Why did you transfer $3M to your offshore account?” “Because I was afraid of being shot.”

5 Likes

I needed to buy a Lamborghini to get away from the bad guys!
/s

2 Likes

NRA – not what it used to be.
Now it’s a lobbying and PR organization that effectively links profits to rights.

1 Like

Eh- it’s 70K that the NRA didn’t use to buy off any politicians, and if it came out of membership dues, then it’s 70K that wasn’t used to buy more guns, so I’d say it went to a good cause.

2 Likes

Sounds like a legitimate expense for a nonprofit to use tax deductible contributions for.

No reason to look into this NY AG’s office.

2 Likes

The ONLY way to stop a Bad Guy with a mansion is…

Ah, fuck it.

10 Likes

Right? I had a colleague write his dissertation on the NRA, and that’s pretty much what he confirmed. And he was a pretty conservative leaning guy, too.

5 Likes

The NRA’s entire shtick is about being afraid. Often afraid of being shot.

There are many. Though I couldn’t tell you which one was largest at this point. Thing is the NRA owns a significant number of the public shooting ranges in this country, control the bulk of major shooting competitions, frequently only their safety courses and what have are legally recognized as valid where required either for licensing or thing like hunter safety. Access to all of that is members only. And they’re aggressive about excluding other organizations, suing them, and smearing them as sinister attempts to Obama your guns. And the fire arms industry (which pretty much controls the NRA) yank ads, sue, and other wise put serious pressure on any organization or press on that end of it that even gestures towards the mildest form of gun control.

So most alternatives are very small, and quite regional. Basically the NRA owns a lot of the infrastructure and its members only. Both the NRA And the industry has an active interest in crushing alternatives.

And until very, very recently. Like a couple of years. They still insisted they were primarily exactly that sort of “sporting organization”. The claims of being a civil rights group, and that “were he alive today Martin Luther King Jr would be a member” (seriously) are at best like a decade old. And didn’t become their primary pitch till the last couple of years.

3 Likes