The NY Times wastes ink on Elizabeth Holmes

Lance Wade, a lawyer for Ms. Holmes, said that his client “made mistakes, but mistakes are not crimes.”

Ask someone who forgot to pay their taxes if the IRS agrees.

14 Likes

That quote… ugh…When the mistakes are illegal we call them crimes.

15 Likes

And I don’t think that her giant years-long fraud qualifies as an oopsie.

“Mistake” needs a hernia belt for that kind of talk.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Jesus fucking Christ. How is this needy as fuck journalist employed by our so called “paper of record”. What an embarrassment.

4 Likes

Sport Soccer GIF by Real Madrid

5 Likes

Not psychopathic lying but brilliance.

4 Likes

:nauseated_face:

This lady doesn’t know that charming and pleasant people can do bad things though? Wow you must not meet many people working in journalism I guess…?

15 Likes

Am I too cynical and skeptical? Is it just that I have enough psychopathic traits to recognise other psychopaths and distrust them?
Tomay-to, tomah-to

3 Likes

Or that sociopaths have long been known to deploy practised charming gestures as part of their manipulation of their targets? This reporter either didn’t do her homework or didn’t want to.

ETA:

I suspect this excuse-making for Holmes’s high-profile marks is the real motivation for the article and its tone and progression. In reality, Holmes doesn’t have magical powers of beguiling so strong that she can make people forget she’s a grifter.

Even before she was exposed, a lot of people who encountered her saw her affectations and grandiose claims as red flags. That just flew over the heads of the wealthy and powerful men who are reputed to know better than everyone else.

8 Likes

yeah, i feel like this is the moment it all went wrong:

If you are in her presence

and seriously so. it means the reporter already wanted to learn what kind of person holmes was, when that’s not the story.

( edit for clarity )

8 Likes

Apparently no one told her that an unguarded positive bias around people who remind oneself of an aspirational or idealized self-image is a vulnerability?

Everyone would do well to remember that these days though, but especially anyone interviewing a convicted fraudster and con artist.

7 Likes

So true. There are cold-blooded predators around everywhere, from phone scammers right up to TFG. The reporter’s wide-eyed “golly gee, who could known?” attitude does the NYT’s readers a disservice, even if it’s just in wasting the time it took them to read the first few grafs.

5 Likes

I thought on a meta level the article is an unwitting portrait of systemic privilege. I am sure if I was in legal trouble I would not get space for Burning Man, van life and Yoga.

5 Likes

When you have as much money stashed away as Elizabeth “Liz” Holmes has stashed away it is easy to arrange for a New York Times puff piece. I’m not slandering the reporter BTW. That is just how really rich people do things when they get caught.

2 Likes

Because the NYT is really trash that regularly stans for the elite class against the rest of us?

7 Likes

Am I too cynical and skeptical? Is it just that I have enough psychopathic traits to recognise other psychopaths and distrust them?

It also occurs to me that people who grow up directly experiencing narcissists in their family, have a much easier time spotting narcissistic and similar con person traits in strangers.

People who grew up in families with more emotionally mature parents can have a blind spot, leading them to take moments when a narcisistic/psychopath’s mask slips as good faith mistakes. They often have a harder time seeing when people use good faith expectations as cover. Or even as another layer of manipulation.

5 Likes

Welcome, CthuluKid!

BTW: Is this one of your baby pictures?

5 Likes

Do you think she did the low voice in the interview?

1 Like
2 Likes