The NY Times wastes ink on Elizabeth Holmes

Originally published at: The NY Times wastes ink on Elizabeth Holmes | Boing Boing

4 Likes

They’re not a welfare queen if they’re white.

19 Likes

They got a free family portrait taken by the NY Times tho.

14 Likes

Wonder if Clarence Thomas is gonna accept his invitation though. Next up from the Supreme Court: fraud is a constitutionally protected right, who knew?

10 Likes
23 Likes

Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV

8 Likes

I think we always need to remember that nearly everyone working for the New York Times thinks the wrong side won WWII, so of course they were guaranteed to cream their jeans over a white blonde lady from a rich family.

Anyone want to go check to see where they came down on the legality of lynching Black people in the subway?

1 Like

What?

8 Likes

Another “White Supremacists who love to Shuffle Dance” article would not be a surprise.

3 Likes

“George W. Bush and Michelle Obama: A Struggle for Their Spouses”

3 Likes

So gross. The whole thing was both a literal and metaphorical make-over.

1 Like

Televangelists, just a different target audience.

1 Like

Detroit Tigers Smile GIF by Bally Sports Detroit

2 Likes

If you are in her presence, it is impossible not to believe her, not to be taken with her and be taken in by her.

Now Amy’s creating undue sympathy for the gullible grizzled crowd of once-powerful men duped by EH. The article would have been more suitable for Real Simple magazine.

12 Likes

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

7 Likes

I’m assuming this means Holmes is a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants or the Hellfire Club.

6 Likes

Literally the only newsworthy thing about this is the time gap between “found guilty” and “in prison”. Had this been a poor person, they would have gone straight from the dock and started their sentence there and then.

14 Likes

comedy central jillian belk GIF by Workaholics

6 Likes

If you are in her presence, it is impossible not to believe her, not to be taken with her and be taken in by her.

Also having my mind blown by that quote. I guess it’s possible that the writer is inexperienced and naïve enough to have never actually directly met a narcissistic con person…while working for the NY Times?

Perhaps it’s more likely the writer never noticed they were being manipulated. And only this time the circumstances are starkly different from reality enough they are waking up to it.

Maybe it’s just easier to think that only other people can be conned.

In any case, it’s still surprising that a reporter with any experience would be surprised that emotional manipulators can also be charming and magnetic. It’s practically a job requirement for any con-person. As well as being a narcissist, itself a key psychological trait for almost all con people working with their persona in the foreground.

In a glass half full take, I’ll be happy the reporter at least realized they were being set up for a deeper level of manipulation, and decided to nope out instead.

8 Likes

She’s not in jail because she’s a member of America’s ruling class. The only reason she was introduced to a bunch of former Secretaries of State and retired military leaders is because she is a member of America’s ruling class.
Her mistake was conning other members of America’s ruling class. If she had stolen money from poor people she wouldn’t be in this situation.

11 Likes