"Twitchy" inmate Elizabeth Holmes spends visitation with husband and parents crying

Originally published at: "Twitchy" inmate Elizabeth Holmes spends visitation with husband and parents crying | Boing Boing

2 Likes

How cute. Even now, she still thinks there aren’t consequences when she breaks the rules.

17 Likes

she probably doesn’t understand how she got there in the first place ?

8 Likes

Rule number one: Steal from the poor.

13 Likes
12 Likes

we are not going to get breathless reports about how she is coping too often are we? she’s a criminal. she’s in jail. can’t we all just forget and forget?

25 Likes

Ok, but why is holding on to your husband’s finger against the rules? I mean, I wouldn’t do all the sociopathic things she did to get there, but I would cry too.

13 Likes

I really am of two minds, because within the justice system we have, she totally deserves this, and it is a rare moment of comeuppance for someone with a seriously broken moral compass.

At the same time I hate our “justice” system for a whole slate of reasons, not the least of which, the way we punish fails to deter people like her and our sentencing never makes any sense. We jail people for waaaay to long on the whole and our jails do not reform.

That said, for the seriousness of what she did, maybe this one is roughly proportional? I never feel certain about that kind of thing.

14 Likes

Animated GIF

17 Likes

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 18.19.00

It was a SEVEN HOUR VISIT!!??

7 Likes

Surprising, that. It seems uncharacteristically generous for a prison. Obviously Holmes is extremely stressed by the whole situation, but maybe she appreciates that she’s in a relatively lenient institution.

2 Likes

No doubt the rules suck. A lot of inmates have to put up with them none-the-less and don’t expect to be exempt from consequences when they violate them.

7 Likes

When I read that she was twitchy, I immediately assumed that she’s coming down off some drug habit. Perhaps even caffeine withdrawal, but maybe something higher-end.

5 Likes

Age comes for us all.

5 Likes

BB taking delight in the misery of people being stripped of their dignity and human rights within the American criminal justice system makes me frown.

10 Likes

There are a lot more white collar fraudsters that deserve the same fate.

Went to court, found guilty and serving a sentence in a country club hoosegow. Can you expand on the part about stripped of her civil and human rights in the context of little Lizzie Holmes? And while we’re at it, the dignity part since she’s not furnished with, say, a bird cage over her head.

13 Likes

Oh well, never mind etc. …

She and other white-collar fraudsters certainly need to be held accountable and deserve punishment, but until the American CJ system is overhalled, and prisoners’ basic human rights are recognized, I feel it’s wrong to celebrate our prisons as a form of justice.

12 Likes

I would be perfectly happy to never see a story about her show up here ever again.

I mean, I love schadenfreude as much as the next person, but at this point the story is over with.

7 Likes

Yeah. This is my least favorite kind of post on BB and it leads to the worst kind of comments (including calls for treating prisons as oubliettes–let’s not forget about any criminals, they’re all still people with rights, OK?)

Add me to the disappointed list, I guess.

She’s awful, and it’s right that she was convicted, and I hope the other 99.9% of currently unconvicted white collar fraudsters are too. That’s justice. But please let’s not be happy about anything related to American prisons. She’s in isolation and being denied physical contact with her loved one(s), and that’s torture, not something to gloat about. The fact that it’s enormously, immeasurably, thousands of times worse for a gigantic number of poorer, less white prisoners doesn’t change this.

tl;dr: penal colony fans please log off

13 Likes