The Obamas are producing a Netflix comedy series about the Trump administration

It would be so nice to simply close the door on the Trumps and not have any reminders for awhile.

9 Likes

I strongly agree. I just think that progressives on social media and progressive journalists have done it much better than these TV series have.

1 Like

I think the problem is that overwhelmingly comedy writers have it in their heads that comedy should soften the blows by trivializing issues or overgeneralizing failures into bland diagnoses like it’s all about money or those damn voters, they just don’t care enough.

They seem unwilling to use comedy to shine lights into the shadows and get specific where more genteel forms of expression shy away.

The rare exception that I can think of is Armando Iannuci and stuff like The Death of Stalin, which used comedy to heighten the tragedy and despair that followed in the wake of the Kremlin.

It’s hard to pull off this kind of dark comedy, but it will never work if writers begin from a place that they should shy away from deeper and highly specific truths. They can’t blink.

5 Likes

Don’t forget the profit part. There should be scenes of him on the phone with his accountant laughing about his tax hiding maneuvers, instructing his money managers to never pay what he owes, chatting with bankers (and others) promising repayment while he crosses his fingers or rolls his eyes, and plotting with the GOP to fleece the folks who attended his rallies or made campaign contributions.

Bonus points if they show him whining about his inability to hang onto any of the money he managed to get.

4 Likes

The LAST thing I want when Trump is out of office is MORE Trump. Netflix won’t show the numbers but I bet this will be a 1 season wonder.

2 Likes

I guess it’s not all that different from how Chaplin mocked Hitler with The Great Dictator in 1940.

8 Likes

Somehow I keep thinking of the “Curb Your Enthusiasm” music…

Because then you can actually educate people, stealthily, about that travesty. People haven’t read the book about it, they’re not going to watch a documentary about it, but a comedy show?

1 Like

same dynamic with Devos and Educ Sec, and the joker he put in at the Post Office who was in logistics and would like nothing more than see the postoffice crater.

I think the best part will be seeing the Orange Losers head explode about it.

1 Like

oh, he will certainly sue, and claim remedies - he get all the shows profit, and also overturn the election.

After seeing the result of that one White House Correspondents’ Dinner (i.e. Trump’s Presidential campaign and subsequent Presidency), I’m kind of afraid of what will transpire when Obama gets an entire Netflix series worth of making fun of Trump.

3 Likes

The NYT threw majestic shade at Perry when it was announced he was going to be Energy Secretary:

Mr. Perry, who once called for the elimination of the Energy Department, will begin the confirmation process Thursday with a hearing before the Senate Energy Committee. If approved by the Senate, he will take over from a secretary, Ernest J. Moniz, who was chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics department and directed the linear accelerator at M.I.T.’s Laboratory for Nuclear Science. Before Mr. Moniz, the job belonged to Steven Chu, a physicist who won a Nobel Prize.

For Mr. Moniz, the future of nuclear science has been a lifelong obsession; he spent his early years working at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. Mr. Perry studied animal husbandry and led cheers at Texas A&M University.

1 Like

Politic’s devolution into pop culture needs to stop.
Too soon!
Almost as unnecessarily nerve racking as OJ’s prank show.

Agreed. Let’s pencil this show in for the 1st of never.

1 Like

I’d think it would be better to ignore him going forward. ThrowDonaldouttheWindow

3 Likes

Nice stable configuration there.

Oh Gods lets pray that trump is just one-season.

1 Like

isn’t that the point? I thought that was the whole idea. :man_shrugging:

Maybe. It could also make it seem like it was not nearly as dangerous or bad for our country as the past four years have actually been.

And of course, most of the people who will watch it likely are already aware and agree with this being a problem (even if they aren’t of the details).

I doubt that anyone who needs to be educated about this will watch it because it’s by the Obamas, so clearly “it’s a hit job” on dear leader… All you have to say is Obama, and these people will instantly refuse to even entertain watching it…

4 Likes

That was my first thought as well. That said, there have been a couple times in my life when I said to those around me as I prepared to engage an extreme asshole, “Okay time to go pull the pin.”