The Obi-Wan finale was pretty much perfect

Loved it from start to end.

Best idea I heard given young Leia’s wonderful performance and spot on nailing the character: Wait a few years, get Vivien Lyra Blair back and directed by Bryce Dallas Howard “Leia: Princess of Alderaan”

Teenage Leia leading off one of her “mercy missions” as mentioned by Vader in ANH.

8 Likes

It was an exercise in bloodless dot-connecting that landed like a dead fish and didn’t provide any new or interesting insight to the universe, or to the central relationship between Anakin and Obi Wan.

It was at times laughably cheap-looking, due to poor direction that resulted in scenes sometimes looking like syndicated 90s genre TV and sometimes looking like FMV sequences from 90s CD ROMs.

It featured some truly poor writing, both in terms of baffling plotting, and in terms of lazy dialogue/characterization, like writers not being up to the challenge of actually writing a ten-year-old like a ten-year-old and instead making her some weird cartoon version of a “precocious child” stereotype who just talks like a little adult.

There were some interesting moments - the cracked-helmet Vader with the half-distorted voice was a genuinely new and arresting image - but overall it didn’t really give me anything I didn’t already know from movies 3 and 4, or didn’t encounter a better version of in a video game from two years ago.

4 Likes

Demonstrating once again why prequels are an abomination to storytelling.

I was half expecting… “Hi Luke, my name is Ob— old Ben” :laughing:

2 Likes

I liked that, for once, we saw someone hit Vader right in the chest buttons. Always wondered what would happen if the buttons got hit. Apparently it just makes some sparks though, which was a bit of a letdown.

6 Likes

I really liked that in Rebels too.

3 Likes

I don’t know why so many people have been piling on Moses Ingram since the second she appeared on screen when her acting was at least as strong as many of the other prominent characters but I have my suspicions.

11 Likes

Well I loved the last episode. I have specific gripes through the series that they really wrote themselves into a corner with how characters got into and out of a situation - and the reactions dealing with that situation. A lot of hand waving “Ok, but they got away and now this is happening.” scene transitions. Or, “OK ok, contrived thing happened and how we are doing this.”

But I was able to largely put them to the side. Maybe later I will make a list along with possible suggestion on how to “fix” them.

Anyway - the last episode was emotionally stirring. The battle between Vader and Obi-Wan was the most satisfying in I don’t know how long. The ending gave me chills and welling up eyes. Overall - really good time.

RE: Surviving lightsaber stab wounds. As Mr White said in Reservoir Dogs, “Hey! Just cancel that shit, right now! You’re hurt, you’re hurt real fucking bad, but you ain’t dying!.” (I swear he says at some point, “Getting shot in the stomach hurts like hell, but it takes a god damn long time to die from it.” Anyway.)

I think this is established as basically a riff on the Western Trope of “getting winged”. Cowboys getting nailed in the shoulder and dropping their gun, but otherwise unharmed. Put it in a sling and you will be back in fighting form next episode. Add to the fact that in Star Wars one CAN recover from a non-fatal wound and I suspect you can’t really count anyone out unless they get the Jango Fett treatment.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed the series.

It wasn’t high cinema, It was Star Wars and fun.

The one detail that has me confused (character wise) in the last episode is why the third Sister went after Luke. Did she figure out the kids are Anakins, or was she still just pissed at Obi Wan?

I am curious where a Season 2 will go. They are running out of gaps in Canon to fill in. I would be happy to see some of the comic story arcs appear in shows (Ahem Vader show please, and Dr Aphra).

One last one last great last mission before the next.

2 Likes

Obi-2 Kenobi: Jedi Nights

3 Likes

Star Wars is about cool and I though Ingram had the least cool costume out of the three inquisitors.

Then a lot of the emotion is taken away from almost all of the actors in SW, like any time an actor goes to a volume of 7 the directors will have them take it back to a 5. Anikan and Padme were the worst examples and I think Moses is just another typical example of that emotional dialing back, I know she has more range in her. But of course then we have the same problems that plagued Bodega and Tran that aren’t a suspicion but blatant.

I’m well past critiquing plots and pretending I’m a writer that could have done better, now I just go for fun and draw out whatever enjoyment I can. But this criticism is spot on, it’s hard to watch some of the terrible filming and lighting in some scenes, it’s surprising that an industry A team could be having so much difficulty.

The episode, and the series as a whole, was quite enjoyable. I got to see my favorite characters run around and do new things. The duel was what it needed to be to show how much stronger the characters have become since Episode III.

My wife and I disagree about the outcome, though. Most will probably disagree with me, to be honest. I think Vader and Obi-Wan should have ended in more of a stalemate, mostly to keep Vader looking like a threat. I haven’t seen much of the animated series, but going by live-action I just see a series of losses for the Sith Lord. He’s seriously lost his status as a threat. My wife dismisses it with, “Well, yeah, he’s just a big loser. Always has been and always will be. And Obi-Wan is always better.”

Maybe it’s the advantage of always having the moral high ground.

I’d have to check, but I thought the plan was to separate them. Vader didn’t realize his kids had survived, let alone that he had two. This way even if he found out about one the other could be kept safe. It’s just that Bail offered to take one. It’d be cool if he could have at least sent money to help support the other one, though. (Maybe money funneled through him from Padme’s estate?)

2 Likes

It wasn’t the costume or the acting that triggered so many fanboys.

I mean, in the first movie Luke was a whiny teenager in a pair of store-bought jeans who barely showed any sign of emotion when his adoptive parents were turned into jerky, but nobody had a problem with Mark Hamill.

Yes, that’s exactly it. Though at least the writers managed to carry Igram’s story line to some kind of conclusion instead of relegating her to a dumb side-quest or leaving her behind to do Space Homework like they did with Bodega and Tran.

4 Likes

This is the biggest pitfall of all fan service efforts. It’s what cheapened Trek, as fan service killed what got the fans in the first place. It ruined the final seasons of Game of Thrones. It poisons pretty much everything J. J. Abrams does, making sweet, airy pastries that cause gut pains and loud groans later.

The ironic part is that Star Wars basically started off as a Flash Gordon fan service, it wasn’t supposed to be more than one movie, a salute to the matinee cliffhangers. And in that respect, in series form the Star Wars franchise does better because the original three movies played that Saturday matinee feeling to the hilt.

1 Like

none, because he would have been replaced with someone else.

really, it’s exactly the same arc as gollum. frodo spares him ( with old wizard’s guidance ) and it the end gollum saves the day. ( here, quigon is gandalf who only shows up once benjamin is able to find mercy within himself. quigon’s absence is the cue to us and obijamin that he’s not at peace with himself yet )

luke wasn’t strong enough - emotionally and probably power wise - to stop the emperor, and would have crossed to the dark side if he’d tried. ( just like frodo was succumbing to the ring )

that’s my understanding too. redundancy

leia opened the door during the interrogation, and confronting vader kicked it wide open. i think that’s what they were trying to say at least - but agreed the writers didn’t sell it all that well. she need more of a foil of her own, or some back story about meeting vader, something…

the story spent way too much time seesawing. they should’ve given her story more love instead

2 Likes

That was my immediate thought too, and so thankful Disney didn’t do it.

I read that Disney prepared Ingram for the unfortunate reaction she was likely going to experience, meaning that Disney also knew what was coming their way. Maybe it’s a silver lining… They knew, prepared, and overcame.

2 Likes

I imagine so given that toxic fanboys were freaking out about the existence of a Black stormtrooper from the very first previews of The Force Awakens.

2 Likes

I think that, as long as they were insisting on having Obi-Wan and Vader face off, a thorough and humiliating beat-down at the hands of Obi-Wan was the only option for ending it. Otherwise Vader’s Episode IV dialogue “We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master.” would make even less sense than it does now.

4 Likes