The one beer to have when you are having more than one

They were all crappy. I’m old enough to know. ‘Premium’ beers were non-local and had a shipping, wait for it! premium added to the cost. Michelob sussed this scam and ran with it. That said, I drank tons of Shaefer. Just wanted to be drunk.

2 Likes

Everyone is probably drunk in historic photographs of outright atrocities as well. By all accounts consumption of slivovitz in the Balkan states reached historic new heights when ethnic Croats and ethnic Serbs were industriously slaughtering their Bosnian neighbours (and occasionally one another). People knew they were being evil but if they drank enough they didn’t care.

Would loved to have sat in on the Mad Men-esque pitch meeting. I’m assuming it was fueled by Canadian Club not Schaefer.

1 Like

Oh god, I remember one year in college they had some sale on Schaefer in bar bottles, by the case, it was ridiculously cheap. There were cases piled up in the hall outside my buddy’s room, and the RA didn’t say anything.

I have to say I haven’t had a Genny since I was a teenager, I don’t really see it around here (but then I’m not looking for it either.) Perhaps my memory of it is tainted by my dad’s taste in beers. I actually remember clearly to this day the first time I tasted beer-- family picnic, my dad offered me a sip (probably Schaefer actually), and I winced and wondered why people would drink that.

2 Likes

I found this great old beer commercial today by the experimental filmmaker Peter Kubelka

This description of the commercial is from Letterboxd

In 1957, Peter Kubelka was hired to make a short commercial for Schwechater beer. The beer company undoubtedly thought they were commissioning a film that would help them sell their beers; Kubelka had other ideas. He shot his film with a camera that did not even have a viewer, simply pointing it in the general direction of the action. He then took many months to edit his footage, while the company fumed and demanded a finished product. Finally he submitted a film, 90 seconds long, that featured extremely rapid cutting (cutting at the limits of most viewers’ perception) between images washed out almost to the point of abstraction — in black-and-white positive and negative and with red tint — of dimly visible people drinking beer and of the froth of beer seen in a fully abstract pattern.

2 Likes

I have to admit that I end up getting it sometimes just for the awesome retro cans.
I’m a sucker for retro styled packaging.

3 Likes

hawkins_dale

20h

The best Schaefer beer jingle commercial, by far, is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMQHDg6fTZc

Who produced their ads? These are both great.

1 Like

Von Trapp Brewery

https://www.vontrappbrewing.com/

1 Like

Terrible beer, but in the 1960’s- early 1970’s it was big - almost on a par with Budwsr. New England Patriots first stadium in Foxboro was Schaefer Stadium.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.