The Partridge Family sings 'Roller Coaster'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/23/the-partridge-family-sings-roller-coaster.html

5 Likes

I was thinking this:

6 Likes

Those clubs that Reuben booked them in always looked super creepy to me. I think he assumed that because he was a middle-aged lounge lizard who liked the Partridge Family that all the others would as well.

7 Likes

I was thinking this:

7 Likes

Those matching outfits!

4 Likes

Intrigued by my predecessors, I searched for another offering…

2 Likes

wow i never knew about this nonsense:

The song has a persistent urban legend, that during an instrumental portion of the song, a high-pitched scream is heard (between 1:24 and 1:28 on the single version, or between 2:32 and 2:36 on the album version). This was Billy Beck, but according to the most common legend, it was the voice of an individual being murdered live while the tape was rolling. The “victim’s” identity varies greatly depending on the version.[3][4] The supposed sources of the scream have included an individual who was killed at some prior time, her scream inexplicably recorded and looped into the track.

Another version says that a girl has fallen off the roller coaster and was screaming to her death. Another version tells of a rabbit being killed outside the studio whose scream was accidentally picked up by the band’s recording equipment – highly implausible, as professional recording studios are soundproof. The most widespread version of the myth, however, tells that Ester Cordet, who appeared nude on the Honey album cover, had been badly burned by the super-heated honey used for the photo shoot, which occurred simultaneous with the recording session, and her agonized screams were inadvertently captured on tape.

And people wonder why Q Anon crap persists

9 Likes

As a kid I had a crush on Lori, now it’s Shirley.

4 Likes

The Partridge Family has an invisible horn section?

1 Like

And a new outfit every episode! Tickets for their shows must’ve been crazy expensive to afford the tailoring.

3 Likes

I was hoping for this: https://youtu.be/EsKny8WnktI

My recollection was that as the show progressed, they were performing less. But they were no supergroup, small clubs were about the best they could do. So of course they had to perform at Richard Pryor’s nightclub in a firehouse (actually a mistaken booking) or at the hotel with striking workers (with two Michael Lembecks) . Very early episodes had them playing Vegas type clubs, and we saw the audience, but that faded. The concerts became more about a setup to the story of the week. Then they travelled less, off to Marineworld to sing with humpback whales (while showing killer whales) or just do a benefit outside for the high school women’s liberation club (after oppositiin by a group called “The Morality Watchdogs”.

The first shows were about a family that sings together, then it was more about a family which happens to sing together.

1 Like

Inspired by your inspiration, I went searching for another roller coast song.

Note: Lilo and Stitch was really one of Disney’s best animated features.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.