Up, down, all around, like a Roller Coaster

Originally published at: Up, down, all around, like a Roller Coaster | Boing Boing

1 Like

Was that song from the special episode where they were performing near the “fabulous” King’s Island amusement park? Sure, the job was at yet another one of the sleazy pick-up lounges that Reuben thought was the perfect venue for a family act, but at least the kids could go on rides during the day.

4 Likes

Reuben always creeped the hell out of me. The kind of manager to sell the kids to Matt Gaetz.

6 Likes

Sometimes I’m embarrassed to be human … but man, that is some serious hair on those people.

3 Likes

Mee Maw Partridge was my first crush.

2 Likes

makes the monkees look like zeppelin

4 Likes

Funny you should zero in on him. That’s the special guest star of the episode: George Chakiris, aka Bernardo from West Side Story.

4 Likes

I think you mean Bernardo. Also, wasn’t the wrecking crew mostly the backing band in all of these?

2 Likes

The history of the Partridge Family music is rather interesting. Like the Monkees, there was a “band”hired to “be” the Partridge Family who were dropped when they learned David Cassidy could really sing. Their lead vocals can be heard on “Let The Good Times In.”

They were the both justly and unjustly forgotten Love Generation, led by Tom and John Bahler. Their sunshine / psych pop pastiches (especially their Eleanor Rigby cop “A World Without Love”) are stellar examples of the major labels’ faux-chedelia push. (Link to their album Montage which does not have WWL but does have The Pill and Consciousness Expansion!)

The Love Generation themselves were a studio band and most (all?) of their musicians were The Wrecking Crew, so this is a rare example of a fake band being hired to be another fake band!

5 Likes

You’re right. Thanks; fixed.

2 Likes

I think that song is about sex.

Always liked the groove of this song. It was written by Mark James, who, along with writing other songs for the Partridge Family, wrote hit songs for other artists, including Elvis Presley’s “Suspicious Minds” and “Always On My Mind” which became one of Willie Nelson’s biggest hits.

2 Likes

I always enjoy a good created for TV band.

1 Like

That clip has just the right amount of Bonaduce.

1 Like

Yeah… what is that…a bad wig or did he get his do at a lady hairdressers? Or is it some kind of wannabe hip white guy Afro?

Given that he’s Greek and all photos of him show that thick wondrous hair, I’d say that’s pure Chakiris in the clip.

3 Likes

The nice raisin lady!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.