The racist roots of the term "marijuana"

Exactly. And based on a perfunctory reading of the linked articles, it’s those same entrepreneurs who are protesting this terminology.
I’m not dug in by any means, but I’m definitely more questioning than I usually am about these requests not to use certain terms. It’ll be interesting to learn more.
I’ll try not to use it, but I won’t try to convince others not to use it, you know?

5 Likes

I remember a paper on psychoactive substances mentioning the name “marijuana” was being depopularized since it was used to force negative associations, and so other names like “pot”, “weed”, or “bud” were preferred.

It feels like those aren’t actually great alternatives though because they all mean other things. Likewise “herb” which is basically one step away from calling it plant, or worse still “grass”. So…I guess ganja, associating it with Southeast Asia instead? I guess that’s at least closer to where it’s actually from.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Im a lifelong weed smoker, so i just dont have time in my life for that many syllables.
Round here we call it weed, buds, dank, choof, yarndi, nugs, green, za, smoke, skunk or chronic.
But if you call it “pot” you are a fucking narc.

4 Likes

Here in Canada, the government often uses the spelling ‘marihuana’, which lead me to learn my first regex search: mari[hj]uana.

I’ve been using cannabis to avoid any stigma. But it’s too sterile, to science-y. While @boloid97 is technically correct, I bet a lot of what we smoked back in the day was indeed hemp.

2 Likes

Well then sign me up.

2 Likes

I will just stick to what I have always called it: Karen.

2 Likes

sure, but Karen can be so harsh! i prefer a smoother, more relaxing smoke. call it…
The Kind!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.