The return of the iconic dungeon-delving board game, HeroQuest

Originally published at: The return of the iconic dungeon-delving board game, HeroQuest | Boing Boing

1 Like

Obligatory:

11 Likes

I loved Hero Quest so much. RIP the copy that my mom tossed out in 1999, just because I went away to college.

3 Likes

You are not alone, mine got tossed. Was fun while it lasted.

2 Likes

I actually tossed mine myself. It was very broken. 20 years of regret. But I got my mythic tier and it is amazing!

3 Likes

never played… $125ish? hmmmm

2 Likes

Oh, yeah; don’t buy it at nostalgia prices! NOT worth that level of cash.

2 Likes

I don’t know what all is in it - but there are some pricey table top games out there. People are really passionate about them. I mean, I got little card sleeves for my Born To Slay game.

1 Like

I’d never seen this before and it’s so wonderful. :smiley:

Also, I really want a copy of this game again. It was indeed my introduction to tabletop RPGs.

2 Likes

For $125, you could get better dungeon-crawling games for sure. Like Gloomhaven is close to that and probably has a lot more replay value. But fewer minis in the box

4 Likes

Came here to make sure this was posted–I tip my hat to you, kind friend!

1 Like

Sure, but you won’t get the “broghd-soughd” and the cracking dice with bunny ears!

1 Like

Yeah, a big part of the cost associated with games like Gloomhaven is the extensive art and development process. It looks like HQ upgraded the figurines and I’m sure they did some touch ups on the mechanics, but really it’s a premium price for what is essentially a pretty basic board game that takes some mechanics from D&D. I’m hoping this price drops soon as I have been wanting them to rerelease it for quite some time, but I can’t justify $125 for repackaging something they probably recovered cost on over 30 years ago.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to look more. Thinking something that my 14 year old D&D fan and my 9 year old (newbie) would enjoy. Me? no. It’s not for me. Honest. Nope. >_>

2 Likes

In the case of the new Heroquest, it’s almost all new material - all the art, the minis, the cards have been redone. Partially because Games Workshop own the rights to a lot of that - like Hasbro had to totally change out the Gargoyle and even rename the Chaos Warrior and Mage for this edition. The rules are largely unchanged and if you went in on the crowdfunding phase you got a whole pile of new quests so there is a lot of new material in there.

But at the same time, because it was crowdfunded, they know they had covered production costs before going to print.

2 Likes

I thought the new Hero Quest game is an updated version, not a straight reproduction?

I guess this means yes?

Hey, hey. Anyone remember the old Dungeon game?

1 Like

Good points, all. However, there’s also the “weight” of the game to consider and, unless they changed a lot about it, it was not a complex game that lends itself to loads of repeat play, iirc. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see discounts or “store exclusives” that put it down around $50 in a couple of years.

1 Like

My understanding is the rules have been revised slightly, but stuff like the equipment and quests have had more of an overhaul.

1 Like

The minifigs are the start of a collection for more serious gaming. I used the board, doors, tables, and chests extensively as set-pieces for other games.

3 Likes

It’s unfortunate the new cover art is all white people (or elves). Fantasy is for everyone.

2 Likes