The rise of the cube croissant

Originally published at: The rise of the cube croissant | Boing Boing

3 Likes

but but…

croissant (n.) “buttery, flaky puff-pastry roll named for its crescent shape,” 1899, see crescent.

(and i seem to recall something about a Viennese baker thinking them a (crescent == Islam) taunt to the Ottoman’s failed later year attack on Vienna …or maybe that was just hearsay)

so “cube croissant” ought to be ‘cubusant’

13 Likes

Ah, the crescent shape, ultimately named from Latin crescens meaning growing…which the moon does when it’s a crescent exactly 50% of the time, and the opposite the other 50%. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Wait, isn’t that where the galactic senate is situated?

8 Likes

I christen it Le Corbusier.

9 Likes

It’s fun to watch people play with laminated doughs as if folks haven’t been doing so for centuries. I’m impressed that they can produced those numbers.

4 Likes

Unité d’gustation

2 Likes

Season 3 Picard GIF by Paramount+

12 Likes

Let me know when Pillsbury makes them available in a tube, until then I’ll stick with their genuine croissants in a tube.

3 Likes

“Cube croissant”? Blasphemy! Horror! Ban this sick filth!

2 Likes

I watched the video. They’re using “premium flour imported from France.” That’s why they’re $10 each. I’m sure there are locally sourced premium flours that would produce just as good a pastry. I’m not an isolationist, but transporting flour across the Atlantic consumes more energy than transporting it from 100 miles away. Shit, they could probably work with a local supplier and come up with their own proprietary blend and still charge a premium for it if they want to market “premium”.

5 Likes

Don’t forget the French butter too. I love a croissant but the amount of butter in them is boggling.

2 Likes

WE ARE BREAD! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! YOU WILL BE BOXED!!

4 Likes

A machine for eating.

That sounds more like some sort of taillaule to me.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.