The Sandwich Alignment Chart (cue John Hodgman's exploding head!)

I don’t think that a lasagna’s structure lends itself very well to being held; if you’re willing to rule out soggy sandwiches because you aren’t able to hold them in your hand, I think lasagna would be excluded under the same logic.

I don’t buy it. The fundamental nature of the taco doesn’t alter because of one crack. It has the same ingredients and the same structural elements arranged in the same fashion; if you can have things accidentally becoming sandwiches when they weren’t before, simply because there’s a structural failure that changes one connected piece into two discrete pieces.

For another example: if you tear a tortilla into two pieces, and wrap one half around taco fillings into a U-shape, you have a soft taco. If you wrap the other half around the top, it’s now a sandwich… despite, for all intents and purposes, being now completely indistinguishable from a wrap/burrito?

…And I still think that it’s ridiculous that “a filling between two discrete bread-like objects” as a definition for a sandwich includes Oreos and wafer-cookies but not any kind of sandwich where the two halves of the bread remain connected (hot dogs, subs, etc.).

2 Likes

Wait, what? New Yorkers are folded? Well that might explain a few things…

1 Like

Yes of course they’re folded, magazines don’t fit in city mailboxes any other way.

9 Likes

perhaps. I can honestly say if it were two maple bacon flavored pop tarts and a piece of boneless fried chicken…kind of chicken and waffle -esque.

I could stomach that.

2 Likes

and with all that, @nimelennar is the new bearer of the Pedant Pendant. :wink:

13 Likes

I am appropriately simultaneously honoured and ashamed.

11 Likes

Ha! You spelled “honored” all funny.

5 Likes

If an “open sandwich” was a proper sandwich then it wouldn’t need the modifier. It’s like saying “table tennis” or “disc jockey.”

6 Likes

Presumably, like obscenity, one knows it when one sees it.

4 Likes

Nope, it’s a Gaussian curve.

1 Like

wait:

“Ham Sandwich”
“Cuban Sandwich”
“Reuben Sandwich”
“Tea Sandwich”

:wink:

(I actually agree though - I don’t agree that something is a sandwich just because there’s a piece of bread at the base of the item)

3 Likes

Those items fall under the general category of Sammiches!

That is called being manwiched*…

*if you assume all construction workers are men

4 Likes

Here’s the difference with those modifiers, though: they provide specificity to the sandwich in question rather than trying to redefine it.

Q: What are you having for lunch?
A: A sandwich.
Q: What kind?
A: Ham.

Versus

Q: What are you having for lunch?
A: A sandwich.
Q: What kind?
A: Open.

1 Like
3 Likes

OH! Sweet, not savory, but there is a place near me that serves ice cream sandwiches, which they define as being ice cream between a donut.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s the difference between “sandwiched” and simply “nestled” tacos and hotdogs are nestled, pastrami on rye is sandwiched.

3 Likes

I don’t think you’re doing it right, then! :wink:

3 Likes

Naw, if you drink enough, you come right back around to being buddies. People always quit too early.

2 Likes

Yeah, but you can be buddies and still disagree!

1 Like

Worst kind for hot dogs, best kind for lobster rolls

1 Like