The sandwich that eats like a meal

Roadkill helper needs the help…

6 Likes

It depends very much on which type of mozzarella. Regular fresh moz does not melt particularly well, and if barely over heated dumps a lot of liquid making shit soggy.

But even low moisture moz, outside of Domino’s, melting is important but not the only thing. Good low moisture moz should have a cheesey, almost cheddary flavor. Where as fresh moz should taste like fresh milk or cream. And the way its made is actually pretty similar to young, industrial cheddar. The orange brick stuff you get at the super market.

Not that you’d really notice. Seems almost impossible to find good low moisture moz at retail. .

13 Likes

Or, Mitch.

1 Like

Was the kid’s name Ferrero?

…It’s the milk that eats like a meal…
…It’s the milk that’s really congealed…
…It’s the milk that’s as solid as steel…

There’s a slogan in there someplace…

2 Likes

That’s funny. Maybe given Nutella was introduced in 1965, the kid was trying to emulate it. I admit that thin slices of chocolate in bread is more appealing than Nutella.

Dude. Dude. Duuuude…

Have you ever done it? I mean, put fine aged Gouda on a Manwich?

Yes, as the kids today would say, “This is bourgie AF”. It’s a “ridiculous” waste of cheese.

But OMG. The juxtaposition of the sharp, impossibly flavorful cheese interacting with the sweet, savory aspects of the meat. The combination of the humble white wonder bread, the lowbrow manwich filling, and the incredibly complex cheese. The way that the manwich sauce on the meat holds your taste buds as hostages, captive to it’s whims; while the protein crystals of the cheese burst on the scene and rescue them. The sharpness of the cheese overriding everything else about the sandwich; but it’s enhanced by the sweet.

And yes, I’m talking about the good Gouda; not just like the 3-month old stuff but the stuff that has been aging in caves for years; the stuff with the crystals and where the flesh of the cheese has gone from smooth and creamy to hard and crumbly and it’s sharper than the knife you used to cut it.

And nope, it won’t melt for crap. I’d shave it off the block as thinly as possible and crumble it onto the top of the open-faced sandwich. You don’t want to put much on; it will overpower the rest of the sandwich in small amounts and will get very unbalanced the more you put on.

I mean, every day - definitely a good American Cheese single. (As an aside to others: The subtle wording differences on the cheese single package are very important; they are a magical incantation that determines your happiness with the product. Learn what the differences are, what they mean, and what you like.)

But at least once, yes, put the good Gouda on the Manwich; it is a worthy experience!

5 Likes

I concur with your view; if Toasties are sandwiches, then Pop-tarts are too.

3 Likes

7 Likes

It’s common in Belgium, to the point that it’s often a quick sandwich for lunch while an adult is at work. Or at least it was 35 years ago. Geez, maybe it’s all different there now. But yeah, that really freaked me out, to see people eating chocolate bar sandwiches for lunch.

Darned good chocolate though!

2 Likes

1 Like

Kraft singles are basically just mild cheddar that’s melted down, mixed with gelatin, and reconstituted. You can make any type of cheese into a Kraft single, including fine aged Gouda.

2 Likes

Manwich is one of those childhood flashback foods for me, like the critic in Ratatouille.

Of course, my flashbacks have a lot more soggy Wonderbread in them, because for whatever reason we never actually used hamburger buns. Try as you might, two slices of 89¢ white bread will not withstand the power of the Manwich. Especially when you’re a kid and try to make yours look as much like the product on the tin label as possible.

2 Likes

Chip butties are great but for full effect you have to say the name in a North England accent. Tomato sauce is optional.
Don’t start me on Meat-Pie Sandwiches, a staple of university life.

1 Like

There’s no justice in life.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Precisely. That type of bun yields very easily to bite downs, thereby preventing more of the meat sauce from being squeezed out the sides of the bun. One alternative that works (even better) is pita bread (with the interior pocket); holds in even more of the meat sauce! :yum::stuffed_flatbread:

2 Likes

Or the tofu sauce. I use pita for my vegetarian sloppy joes at times. It does contain it better, though if I fill it and don’t eat it soon after, the pita gets soggy and things start coming apart.

1 Like