The sandwich that eats like a meal

Isn’t that actually just a very small loaf of bread? :wink:

8 Likes

The heck if I know. Honestly, this vintage commercial makes me want to go out and get a can of Manwich, though these days I’ll likely mix it with ground turkey or chicken, or even some soy/seitan crumbles. Pro tip: add a Kraft single!

8 Likes

American Cheese Food Product!

7 Likes
3 Likes

I think that claiming Kraft Singles to be “Cheese”, even “American Cheese”, is maybe going a bit far. Maybe “Cheesish” or “Cheeselike” or “Cheese Adjacent Tangential” or just Keese?

1 Like

It might not be a fine cheddar, but ‘American cheese’ is a very good cheese for melting nicely on a burger or sloppy joe. I wouldn’t put a Kraft single on a cheese board, but I wouldn’t put an aged gouda on my Manwich, either.

6 Likes

We always had a local version (which I would not be surprised if this is what inspired the manwhich)…

“A Rhode Island exclusive. Kind of like a Sloppy Joe but far superior. Spicy enough to earn it’s name, it’s best washed down with a good beer. For you non Rhodey people, torpedo rolls are just the long sandwich rolls.”

3 Likes

I was going to scoff at this because you can’t eat keese, but then I remembered that you can use their wings and eyeballs in potions. But probably just sell them to Kilton. Speaking of which, I just saw that he gives really good rates for hinox body parts – not as much as for lynel parts, but hinox are way easier to kill, and worth it because they usually carry treasure anyway.

Man(wich), I really hope they do more DLC for that game. Sometimes I just open it up and wander round looking for Koroks for an hour or so.

2 Likes

They sell it at the Dollar Tree. I bought a can yesterday out of novelty. It’s a little sweet, but not bad.

1 Like

To put that into an international context, when I moved to the US as a smol bobtato, sloppies joe from the school cafeteria were one of the foodstuffs that made me delighted to learn that in this magical land, even meat sandwiches come in the form of a full-blown dessert.

7 Likes

When I was pretty destitute I used to make a “jam” sandwich-- two pieces of bread, jammed together.

2 Likes

I watched Futurama, and I can’t believe I didn’t catch on to that !

I’ve always liked the analogy to meatloaf. Meatloaf is meat the way cheese food is cheese.

2 Likes

When we first started cohabitating I’d make veg sloppy joes with tvp and Manwich for my sweetie. He’s since developed some intense food sensitivities, and I’ve switched to using this from the former Post Punk Kitchen diva as my base recipe instead:
https://www.isachandra.com/2009/11/snobby-joes/

3 Likes

Whattya want for nothing? A RUBBER BISCUIT?

8 Likes

Oh man, yes! Nothing like a Kraft single when you want some melty cheese-ish-ness. I keep some on hand for knock off egg McMuffins. Thanks for giving those things another use!

3 Likes

My kids claim that this qualifies as a sandwich only if the middle slice is a different kind of bread to the outer ones.

8 Likes

I make sloppy joes with tofu, first you freeze the tofu, then thaw it and squeeze out the water, before crumbling it. The freezing changes the texture.

But I just make the rest from scratch, hardly a complicated process. I think I started with a recipe out of The Farm vegetarian cookbook, which was already a few years out when I bought it in 1979. Vegan without the title, many of the recipes are oddly very mainstream but without meat. They did like their sugar, as a reiewer long ago pointed out.

5 Likes

I was reading that the prime consideration for Mozarella is its ability to melt, which makes sense because a pizza without melted cheese is lacking.

1 Like

When I was in d
Denmark in 1965 a kid at school had a sandwhich made with thin chocolate between two slices of bread. I can’t remember if it was milk or dark chocolate.

That was great, I made my own at hime. But I thought it was some Danish habit. Only now that I think about it, I guess it was just some kid making their own sandwhich.

2 Likes