The second-dumbest tattoo in America

Well he did have a gun tattooed in such a way as to be deceptive… case dismissed!

Fixed it for you. :smiley:

Okay, wait: do your scenario is " oh, he yelled at us, but he didn’t pull out the means to kill half a dozen people, he just left it tucked in his waistband. Golly officer, you’re right, we’re over-reacting!"

Do you realise how crazy that sounds?

I think it’s that improved customer service woke him up (again.) Now, if he had a tattoo of a court filing he could leave with the police for public disturbance and menace to public health by marketing metric policies, that would be super efficient. Astringent, kind of raises taxes on tats in the vicinity…hm.

Not crazy? But they don’t have his twitter or cell and don’t mind dropping by?

However, you would be wrong. Brandishing is a legal term and nowhere in this country is the definition “having a firearm that I can see” regardless of activity. In order for it to constitute brandishing it has to be drawn, at least touched, in a manner that conveys an obvious threat. Again, just having a gun isn’t a threat.

2 Likes

Yes, what you typed sounds crazy. That’s not what happened, though.

Again, we’re talking about a tattoo. Even, however, if we were talking about a real pistol simply having it on your person in much of the country is not a crime nor a threat.

2 Likes

Having a gun is a threat. Why else have it? But like your brandishing comment, there’s plenty of legalese to hide behind.

Some of those are inspired. I especially like the back piece one.

Meh, even if he’d pointed a gun at them, that’s no reason to feel threatened. They should only have called the police if he’d shot every single one of them dead. If any of them were still alive, then he obviously wasn’t threatening them and calling the police would be an overreaction.

2 Likes

Yes, many cities have laws preventing concealed carry even in states that allow it. Similar to how many schools, airports, hospitals, and government buildings have laws preventing weapons on premise, even legally registered carry permits, unless you are a law enforcement official of some kind or other. Some places even prevent them from carrying. NYC doesn’t allow certain weapons within city limits period unless you are an office of the law or government.

I though that open carry required one of several very specific types of holsters and you couldn’t just open carry in any haphazard manner, isn’t that the case? Many places require open carry holsters to have snapping bands that keep the weapon securely in place unless unsnapped, and unless your gun is secured in that type of holster you are violating your permit.

Again, I’m not an expert on these things, but I do know that certain conditions and regulations often apply.

fair enough, I hadn’t considered that point, so i guess unless he stepped onto the sidewalk, road, or public easement portion of his yard then he’d be okay to crotch carry. He didn’t even have a weapon though so this was just a misunderstanding that got cleared up.

Yeah that might have been an over-reaction depending on the description of the scene they were given on the phone, but they cleared up that it was a misunderstanding and left. No one was hurt. Sometimes officers respond and it was a false alarm, and they leave when they determine that the situation is safe. It is how the system works. They can’t determine the situation until they actually assess it. No one knew it was just a tattoo until they determined that it was a tattoo. I’m not saying they were justified bringing in swat, but things didn’t escalate from there, it resolved properly.

Either way this guy didn’t actually have a gun on him at all, so really that is all moot. The police can be called to check into any potentially dangerous situation and they assessed this one and found it was just a misunderstanding. So the system worked as it should and this is really a non-story except for people opinions about these types of tattoos.

I wonder if you could get this type of tattoo in a metallic ink, that would give the TSA backscatter folks quite a surprise.

Maybe, except it is an easement for a reason. People walk on the sidewalk out front of many houses all the time without written notice, because that is part of the public easement. The utility companies often come to read meters on many houses and those aren’t even in the easement area, they are typically on the house itself, they have to cross the yard to do the reading. Typically by having utilities, and by owning a property with a public easement, you’ve already consented to these things in a written agreement/contract.

I like the metallic ink idea, maybe with a DL-44? :smile:

There is a difference though between a meter reading and altering the substance of a property (cutting down trees, digging trenches). I don’t even like the meter readers, I’d opted into the e-meter they can read remotely from the street (the ones some people think give you cancer). I just don’t like random Joes and Janes traipsing through my yard whenever they please…

2 Likes

I know it varies state to state. Usually they all already have provisions limiting conceal carry from places like gov. buildings and airports, and allowing any other place to opt out with signs. I know some states have written it so that local laws can’t supersede the law. NY is a “may issue” state and as I understand it it is hard to get a license with out being a cop etc. Maine is “shall issue”. But again, the fact it wasn’t concealed means it wouldn’t fall under that law.

Open carry is even more confusing, as in some states the gun can’t even be loaded. Some allow cities to supersede the state law. I haven’t heard about specific holsters being required. Using an actual snap on a holster is rather antiquated, though there are other designs that keep the guns secure with out an actual snap and strap. I don’t know if having it just stuck in your belt is acceptable or not. I bet it’s considered brandishing in some places.

Like I said, how you look and how you carry yourself often determines how people treat you. Have a holstered gun in a polo and khakis is going to draw less attention than one in a belt with a wife beater with tats.

1 Like

BTW - the utility company sends out mail or puts notices on your door that they are going to come out and trim trees etc before they come out.

2 Likes

The linked article says that this company doesn’t do that and that it isn’t required in Maine.

“Rice said that, in general, if a customer is unhappy with the work being done, tree crews are supposed to stop work, leave the area and call CMP. State law says that because such work is necessary to ensure the quality of electric service, the company is not required to give notice
to customers. However, customers can ask to be placed on a list for advance notification before trimming, she said.”

Advanced notice lists, like this, are BS. “Ask to be put on this list, which you have no idea exists, if you want or don’t want…”

2 Likes

I’m not bothered by people walking across my lawn or whatever, but if they fire up a damn chainsaw, that’s a shock to my system that will piss me off. Furthermore, threatening any trees with said chainsaw will make me extremely irate. Summoning the SWAT team to my home will definitely make you persona non grata.

It doesn’t matter if I have a stupid tattoo or a real gun stupidly holstered in my waistband. It’s my property. End of story. Try picking up the phone before you violate my home.

By the look of him, this guy is likely to be a piece of shit, but so what? He did absolutely nothing wrong. The issue is that some random dude sicced the fucking SWAT team on him.

Let’s say this happened to me. I have no tats nor pistols, but I do have a german shepherd that–without any signal from nor because of any training by me–will let you know that you are not welcome on my property long before I even get a chance to ask you what’s up. So the b-word dude on the work crew calls the cops, who show up and shoot my dog (link one, two, and three.) Awesome. According to the logic of many ITT, it’s my fault for being a dog owner.

This guy’s tat is irrelevant.

2 Likes

Gentiles get all the breaks: no dietary restrictions. penile mutilation is optional. a well-defined and reasonably attainable afterlife. all the tatts one could want. It’s not fair!

2 Likes

Sounds like you didn’t ask to be on the list to be notified of other lists that you don’t know exist :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

He must REALLY want that Darwin Award.

I saw a bumper sticker once saying that people protest fur but not leather because it’s easier to intimidate old rich women than bikers.

2 Likes