The secret RPG history of an enabler of America's border child kidnapping policy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/19/good-vs-evil.html

5 Likes

Don’t forget to kill the Kobold babies. They’re only worth 1/4xp each, but it all adds up.

18 Likes

He reflected on the nature of good and evil - and chose evil. The pay was better.

32 Likes

Members of the sociopath party face no cognitive dissonance because they have convinced themselves that only people like them count as people. Among his college classmates, yes, we must all learn to be ethical. When it comes to those brown foreigners who don’t speak English, well, that’s another matter entirely.

25 Likes

Because the game was being played by legacy Harvard students?

His first job out of college was council for acquisitions and mergers for large corporations and he was a life-long Republican who served under Bush II.

EDIT

Anyone spending any time in D&D communities wouldn’t be shocked a low magic morals-focused D&D game would be run by a right-wing authoritarian. Let alone a Catholic one.

13 Likes

Yeah, he wouldn’t likely own a copy of Eldritch Wizardry.

11 Likes

There are few things more dangerous to liberal democracy than a geek gone sour.

7 Likes

the players jokingly called the setting Eric created "Catholic World."

That’s what I call my childhood.

17 Likes

The question remains; Lawful, Neutral or Chaotic?

5 Likes

Catholic Panic!

5 Likes

I just have one concern. Is that photoshopped Trumpian hair on his head or is it real? If real, holy moly but no wonder he fits right in with Trump. The same comb-over from Hel.

1 Like

Lawful obviously. I mean can you get more lawful evil than this?

9 Likes

This is sort of easy to understand. It’d be easier to think of separating children from parents if you think they’re all evil subhumans. D&D morality is easy because “good” people can do evil things to “evil” types with out repercussions and still feel virtuous.

9 Likes

It also is easy to understand how someone like him could see little difference between a controlling a game and controlling human lives in reality.

4 Likes

To someone like him, the whole thing is a game. (Life.)

4 Likes

OMG! I just read this twitter feed on a friend’s recommendation last night, when another friend asked about ICE protests… talk about a sharp turn in the narrative!!!

Amazingly powerful.

Perhaps the new advocacy org MACC?

Asshole puritan DM is asshole IRL. Who’d’ve guessed? DMs are hard to come by so I guess that’s why they stick with him.

2 Likes

Nah, it’s clearly Chaotic Evil. They made up laws , denying that they are doing what are they doing, blaming the Democrats, blaming the victims. A Lawful Evil character would had a plan and a clear justification.

5 Likes

And that’s exactly the thing. In his campaign, kobolds weren’t automatically evil for being kobolds, they’re only evil when they actually do something evil. But now, immigrants are evil simply for being immigrants, and not for anything they do. It’s an exact reversal of the morality in his RPG campaign.

7 Likes