The Seven-Year-Old Diet

Yup. To be eaten with custard:

5 Likes

I couldn’t stand avocados or guacamole gwakamoly as a kid either. I thought they were gross and slimy. I outgrew it, though.

1 Like

“Gwakamoly” hearkens back to the time-honoured English practice of reworking borrowed words to make them less exotic. I think that at some point the pile of purloined words got too big to launder, and we threw up our hands and said, “Fuckit, just spell them like the foreigners do.”

4 Likes

Japanese does something similar by mutilating the spelling of those plentiful loan-words into kana-compatibility.

1 Like

We took our niece and nephew and my sister to Disneyworld, They were pretty adventurous eaters. They LOVED sushi and tempanyaki cooking. When they got back my sister called “great, you’ve created a sushi monster.”

2 Likes

Nice try, Boing Boing, but there’s no way I’m eating a seven-year-old.

10 Likes

I found these in England. Pretty horrible. Not American-style at all.

I also bought ‘hotdogs’ at a train station in Japan. They were fish-based. Not terrible, but a shock.

2 Likes

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Beware the Gwakamoly, she wrote.

9 Likes

Maybe she got that kind wasabi loves to masquerade as. (True story. Reportedly during a wedding night.)

3 Likes

I see cake and cupcake merit separate entries. I have to agree :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see that kind of thing posted all the time. Whats actually in there is pretty much what you would get in one of these:

1 Like

OMG! I had forgotten those. My mother would sometimes pack one for a picnic or take one when we went camping (mid to late 70s. They come out slimy in salty jelly. I was always happy when dad opened a can of spam to fry up as well. ((shivers))

2 Likes

That is excellent. I figure it would come in handy for my ad hoc arctic expeditions, if I ever feel like doing one. Which would of course never happen normally, but will extra-never happen now that I’m reading The Terror. Thanks anyway.

1 Like

[quote=“funruly, post:28, topic:51511”]
Beware the Gwakamoly, she wrote,[/quote]
The cor jets, whether baked or fried,
Beware green beans, and orberjeens
And anything I haven tried.

13 Likes

If you have a picky eater kid that wants special meals for their tastes.

Enlist a friend and make your normal meal…and the stuff your picky eater kid likes. Have the friend say something like “oh…your child still has their own food”
“Yes. He isn’t ready for grown up food yet”.

3 Likes

as a former fussy kid, this would completely not have worked on me.

5 Likes

If Cory is looking: One of the things my nephew and niece really liked was the Sushi. (At Swan and Dolphin Sushi place at Disney World). The Sunomono Salad with octopus was even a bigger hit. Octopus doesn’t taste ‘fishy’ and in the cucumber vingared salad…they loved it.

If your kids don’t like cucumbers…and they like seaweed. Try a sunomono salad…with dashi, very thin cucumber, and wakame seaweed. Fish element can be octopus (texture might be odd or very young child). or KRAB type things which are rather sweet.

A tazazaki sauce on pita bread could be a good introduction to cucumbers too.

3 Likes

Am I the only one here whose first thought was “Shit, I can’t believe Cory’s daughter is already 7? I’ve been reading Boing Boing for a loooong time…”

8 Likes

I’m glad to see that she’s mature enough to know the difference between spagety and paskety.

2 Likes

…fruit flies like bananas…