The "Singing Anus" from John Waters' Pink Flamingos has died

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/20/the-singing-anus-from-john.html

3 Likes

It’s like a reverse-Batman origin story. (Buttman?)

6 Likes

Surely this qualifies for the tag, “Christ, what an asshole!”

19 Likes

Ya beat me to it!

2 Likes

The whole film is nothing but notorious scenes.

11 Likes

My anus is singing right now!

3 Likes

He should posthumously receive the trophy

(featuring handles in the shape of Jackhammer Jill pigtails and the inscription “Christe quis annulum”)

4 Likes

My roommate in college kept telling me “You HAVE to see this, it’s hilarious and one of the most disgusting things you’ll ever see.” That’s a pretty tall order; I’ve seen a lot of disgusting things. I almost watched it because I liked Pecker but I never got around to it. I just read the plot on Wikipedia.

Nope. No thank you.

2 Likes

For a moment I thought this was going to be about one of those maskless people singing campaign songs for Trump.

2 Likes

You truly don’t know what you’re missing. It is sheer brilliance on a disgusting order. Then again, maybe it is more for the young, or at least young at heart. At least I got to see it in a theater in college. Turns out that the singing anus is even more memorable than the more infamous final scene.

6 Likes

“We’re ready for your close-up; pucker up, man.”

I’ve also never seen goatse or the 2 girls 1 cup video.

Some things…well…I just don’t need to see. I guess this is why I don’t like horror flicks. I have enough nightmares in my head without crowding it up with others.

I watched The Ring when it came out. Bad friggin’ idea. Still can’t get some of those images out of my head.

2 Likes

I’m beginning to detect a pattern here…

8 Likes

In that case don’t bother with Eraserhead either. It will scar you.

3 Likes

It is sheer brilliance on a filthy order. The Filthiest order.

2 Likes

I took a date to see Pink Flamingos at a special screening in college. It definitely screened her out as a possible girlfriend.

5 Likes

I wasn’t going to mention it here because it might seem mean-spirited, but TBH Pink Flamingos is not that great as early Waters films go. It’s no Female Trouble or Polyester.

Or if you prefer the more polished later films, Serial Mom is kind of the Hollywood version of a lot of the earlier content, and Kathleen Turner is ermerzing in it.

3 Likes

We could send in his understudy but he’s busy being president.

2 Likes

Probably screened you out as a possible boyfriend, as well.

6 Likes

My favorite of the early works is Multiple Maniacs.

2 Likes