The soft sexism of functioning pockets

At first I read that as “single use pockets” which seems a little bit excessive.

7 Likes

I’m sick enough of carrying my girlfriend’s shit to know men reaaaally dont have this problem. So what if my suit jacket has a couple of useless flaps to go with it’s useless cuff buttons and useless bottom button. My pants have four useful pockets, and usually my shirt has one. The single article of clothing I, and increasingly most men, don’t wear very often is the least relevant.

Give women some fucking pockets already. We don’t need to get into the fucking denial and spin of pretending that women’s clothing isnt built for utility because women aren’t “supposed” to be utilitarian. Here we have a fucking person who has the actual lived experience of having to wear clothing across gender lines in daily life and we’re just going to shake our heads and go, “nope, men have some limited experience with this so it’s not a thing?” Even ostriches, literal bird-brains, don’t actually bury their heads in the sand so quickly.

20 Likes

I love my cargo shorts, if i could put more pockets in mine i would. Ladies you need to get in on this cargo short game.

4 Likes

Move to a community property state. Then it’ll be your wallet.

1 Like

I fully support pockets for all. And as a corollary I also support bags for men (aka man-purse) cause some times you do indeed need more than pockets.

11 Likes

Tweed murses!

5 Likes

23 Likes

I have one pair of men’s jeans that have “girl pockets” – the front pockets are only about 2 inches deep. The wife thinks it’s hilarious every time that I curse as I attempt to cram my phone in there.

14 Likes

My wife says the same thing every time we go to the nude beach

13 Likes

So you can show people more constrastily that you’re broke.

Did you try protesting by jumping on the till and gyrating grotesquely?

All pockets matter!” ~ Some asshole

15 Likes

I believe this is a feature, rather than a bug. You need to embarrass your teenage daughters in public somehow. :wink:

@crenquis: Sorry, man, that is hilarious.

8 Likes

Isn’t one of the other issues is women’s clothes tend to be more form fitting, thus pockets interrupt the lines, especially full of stuff?

Also, I remember my ex wearing lots of capri style pants that had pockets.

2 Likes

I’m partial to this vest

1 Like

On men, at least, those types of vest, especially in the summer, just scream “I am carrying a concealed weapon.” At least to me, YMMV.

1 Like

Didn’t help with the coupons, but I did make a tidy profit after gathering all the loose change that was hurled at me.

7 Likes

Tip: Take your daughters clothes shopping in the boys/men’s department.

Took my 12yo daughter clothes shopping a couple weeks ago and after 30 minutes in the girls department having no luck with a reasonable pair of shorts (it is Fall clothes season, after all) we tried the boys dept. She finds cargo shorts. Loves them. Her: “The best pants ever”, Me: “Why?” Her: “They have pockets!”

The article didn’t mention the tortuous and conspiratorial women’s clothes sizing scheme. Sure, pocket differences are sexist, but woman’s sizing? It is insanity. Won’t some outsider create a functional sizing method coupled with robotic, on-demand tailoring and revolutionize the industry?

19 Likes

I don’t get kid sizes. There are like 3 tiers! I can be in one section and move a little bit and suddenly the size 5 isn’t the size 5 I am looking for, and why am I here with out my kid again? So I just buy like 4 of everything and return what doesn’t fit later.

4 Likes

Oh, yes. I’m partial to it…doesn’t mean I ever wear it except when out in the wilderness

11 Likes

That’s called a backpack, which i find more comfortable than slinging a heavy bag on my shoulder. And i go everywhere with my backpack.

2 Likes