The sound of skating on thin ice

Conditions are so variable, that it’s difficult to come up with a reliable benchmark. Water flow and temperature under the ice, the way the ice forms, and other things can make it hard to determine how hard and supportive the ice will be. It is often not uniform from area to area on the same water body, as well.

If you want to try it, have redundant safety measures. When I would go out on untested ice, I would over dress in synthetics, to lessen the shock if I went in. A small dry bag backpack, full of a change of clothes to be thrown to solid ice, a couple of pointy screwdrivers joined by a piece of cord in a front pocket of my outer layer to pull my way out of the water, and if it seemed really dicey, a friend on shore with a throw bag like you use for river rescue. Stay close to shore to begin with. Poke like that guy did to check the thickness. I have gone without trouble on 2" of ice, and have also broken through on the same thickness on another pond. The element of the unknown adds to the fun, but none of it is worth your life, so just use your head so you don’t get in over your head.

2 Likes

(and @WasitabatisaW)
good info, y’all. according to the link, I think there may have been possible skating conditions maybe once or twice in the last 10 years, but if there’s a next time I’ll at least have something to go by now.

1 Like

This vodka-fueled Norwegian certainly has more body mass and has no problems skating on very thin ice

Xmas booze delivery is definitely unique

1 Like

I dunno man. Every now and again, people go through the ice out this way:

The local fishing forums I am on are filled with dudes who go out on ice like you’ve posted, but every so often someone loses that wager.

This guy of course has some training dealing with dunks in icy water. (I haven’t gone through the ice on a frozen lake, but I’ve spent some time in icewater before… There is indeed a process for dealing with it.)

1 Like

Sounds like bits from the Forbidden Planet score.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.