The Stanley Kubrick biography his lawyers blocked in 1970 is finally published

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/07/stanley-kubrick-biography-he-blocked-in-1970-finally-published.html

5 Likes

I can’t remember the actor but one who acted for Kubrick was explaining his method: you did however many takes it took until the shot was right. nobody including Kubrick knew what “right” was until it happened. the thing was, for the actor who explained this at least, is that it ruined him on all other directors. they would quit shooting when their shot “worked”, but after working for Kubrick, the actor always knew it wasn’t “right.”

8 Likes

Kubrick is overrated. There, i said it.

That’s not to say that i dislike his movies or that he made bad ones. He’s very much like other directors i like where the movie watching experience is very uneven. For certain aspects of his movies he has a very refined focus, but other aspects just don’t work for me and overall it comes across as self-serving and pretentious. James Cameron, Christopher Nolan, Tarantino, etc. all have a lot of the same qualities like Kubrick.

8 Likes

Or if you’re a woman, he does takes until you’re traumatized and ensure that the entire cast and crew are in on the bullying…

I Mean Come On GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

It strikes me that there was something in the air during that era, about taking mass mediated art and trying to elevate it to more “important” heights. You can see it in rock music with the rise of the LP and all the experimentation that was happening there and with films, too. I mean, the entire goal of Spielberg and Lucas was to take B-films and make them into something more.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.