The sun rises on .ing, the latest domain name shakedown

Originally published at: The sun rises on .ing, the latest domain name shakedown | Boing Boing

7 Likes

What was I just saying about grifting in the thread about plastic bag recycling failures?

grift.ing?

Will Smith Reaction GIF

16 Likes

FTFY  

12 Likes

The financial opportunity is the use of A or CNAME records to point to foes you want to put into a bad light.

poison.ing → agribusiness coglomorate related to “Monsanto/Roundup”
grift.ing → gop.com
punish.ing → doj.gov
tax.ing → irs.gov
fly.ing → faa.gov
steal.ing → trump.com
crash.ing → headline worthy auto manufacturer with serious safety defect.

9 Likes

Kinda tempted to register verb.ing, depending on cost.

6 Likes

gerund.ing for fun/profit!

9 Likes

One thing is for sure, it’s not worth £200+ a year.

ETA It does cost 10x less than verb.hair tho

3 Likes

What’s the current price for boingbo.ing?

32 Likes

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF.ing

3 Likes

I want noth.ing to do with it.

8 Likes

I have an .xyz domain, mostly for the email server. I wonder if anyone with a .ing domain will have the same spam filter issues I run into some time. (I actually rarely initiate email from one of those addresses, but I’m happy to sign up for things from void@*.xyz.)

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a cash grab … but does the general harm go much further than that?

Few people are really forced to register a domain name in the ‘.ing’ TLD. Even if you happen to own a popular website whose name ends in ‘ing’ – to take a somewhat far-fetched example – you have the same protections for your trademark as you would with any other TLD. Which is to say that if you have bigger lawyers than the other guy, you may prevail, and if not, you won’t. Granted, that’s not a great state of affairs, but neither is it a new state of affairs.

As to the squatters, I believe it was Jesus who said “the squatters you will always have with you”. Or if he didn’t, he should have. Let them squat. The explosion of different TLDs lately has probably done a lot to make squatting unprofitable. Sure, some sleazeball has probably gone and registered felch.ing and other similarly desirable names, keeping them out of the hands of people who might be able to make good use of them. But I doubt they’re going to get rich doing it, and – for a change – I don’t think most of us are much worse off than we were before the .ing TLD existed.

Or am I miss.ing something?

4 Likes

Rob should/will/won’t remember this from the children’s BBC TV Words and Pictures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiJMr9ffdsY

(Sorry, potato quality but upload from 2006)

2 Likes

unmistakable Derek!

4 Likes

Well, the London Borough of Haver.ing now has another option.

Perhaps someone will launch a site where people can go and rant at and insult various organisations who need a bollock.ing.

ETA I’d really like interest.ing

3 Likes

This is the cheapest .ing domain I could find:

Next tier: $190
Everything Else: $1000+

8 Likes

Now I wish I had that kind of disposable cash to do exactly this!

1 Like

Long ago, I registered a .name URL for my personal email. It was a very bad idea; there are many websites, programs, and people who don’t recognize all these TLDs and don’t consider them to be valid emails. It’s only .com and .net for me now.

1 Like

I played around with domains back in the 90s, I would register names that would amuse me but I never quite got the hang of monetizing.

I have quite few I use for my business and personal stuff. One of those is pretty valuable but I refuse to sell it because I’ve had it since the 90s. I occasionally get an unsolicited offer. Our daughter can sell it and make a few bucks.

I also have 3 that are worth about 7 grand or 300 hundred after commissions to the company I list with. Our daughter can have those as well.

I also own my wife’s and mine first names for a personal site and email, those are really hard to come by because various wedding sites bought them up.

I still buy a name now and then to play with then I get bored and just don’t renew them but these .ing names are way too expensive to play with.

3 Likes

Hm. Apparently no one has bad.food

1 Like