The Superman cartoon from the 90s is extremely underrated

Originally published at: The Superman cartoon from the 90s is extremely underrated | Boing Boing

3 Likes

The Batman Series eclipsed this cartoon…

2 Likes

Batman TAS had far more brilliant character arcs, but I don’t know if there’s much in Batman TAS to top moments like Turpin’s eulogy after Darkseid’s attack or when Superman threw Darkseid down from his fortress and told the denizens of Apokolips they were free, only to see them help Darkseid stand, who told Superman, “here I am God”.

5 Likes

Things really picked up again when they got around to Justice League Unlimited with its 50+ characters; some of the best DC storytelling ever. Plus I Iove that the last 2 episodes of that series were inexplicably named after Kiss albums (“Alive” and “Destroyer”)!

4 Likes

As much as I enjoy the convenience of the various streaming services, and having favorite shows (and music) available at the click of a remote, this is why I’ll never give up my physical media.

3 Likes

Batman has it beat on the music. And the colorful animation against black paper.

But Superman had really great storytelling. I was really happy watching it.

The only real complaint I have is the finale. Superman getting brainwashed and recovering were fine.

But I felt like we needed at least a few episodes after that to show him regaining humanity’s trust.

2 Likes

I thought it was interesting that in the later JLA or JLU show, after superman had recovered from the brainwashing, Professor Hamilton was shown to be afraid of Superman, enough to help with the Galatea Project for Cadmus.

2 Likes

While I appreciate this stance it’s not like this particular digital media will every truly be gone. Sure the rights holders may have written it off and won’t ever be making it available again. But there are plenty of unofficial archivists (read: pirates) that are holding onto copies of it all, and it’s precisely this grey area where there’s no legitimate way to purchase said media that I can most comfortably advocate for pirating it.

Edit: There’s also the sticky issue of the stuff they binned that never got a physical release. Your only option to see that content now is via piracy.

3 Likes

Oh Exosquad season 2. Until i feel like ponying up for someone pirates’ blu-ray quality encode of it, the only thing I have is the poor copy recorded from a Texas affiliate over-the-air station.

1 Like

I still have my DVDs of this show, come on over and I’ll show them to you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.