The suspense of this 90-degree drop water slide video is almost too much for me to handle

Originally published at: The suspense of this 90-degree drop water slide video is almost too much for me to handle | Boing Boing

1 Like

Nope.

3 Likes

No Thank You Stop GIF by PEEKASSO

5 Likes

7 Likes

Phew. I managed to watch it and it was not quite as bad as I thought it would be. It’s an enclosed slide, and that’s less scary for me. It’s the few that drop you out in the open for a second or two that freak me right out.

7 Likes

I don’t know, could it really be worse than leaping off the high dive? The suspense/surprise is what gets you here, not unlike other “drop” rides.

3 Likes

this is on… a cruise ship?
Which also has a giant non-water slide shaped like a snake?

I can only assume that drugs were involved here.

1 Like

It’s good to see that a former employee of NJ’s (Tr)Action Park found a new place to work.

7 Likes

Looks like the 90 degree drop is only for a few feet and then it turns into a standard enclosed slide, although you have speed from the drop. I’m not fond of massive enclosed loops though, so I’d pass.

They probably have to be enclosed to avoid people accidentally falling off the boat.

4 Likes

Looks like 88, maybe 89° (deg) to me.

3 Likes

There is very little that would persuade me to go on a cruise ship. A vertical waterslide is not enough, give me one on dry land please.

3 Likes

insults renecs GIF by El Xitxarel·lo

5 Likes

Okay, okay… 97.777g, maybe 98.888g.

3 Likes

Hmm. When was the last time you had your pixels calibrated?

3 Likes

4 Likes

Seems fun. If I didn’t know how far I was gonna be dropped, I’d be more freaked out, but it seems like it’s only a few feet before it curves. I would be more worried about the door hitting my chin on the way down. Cruise ships aren’t the best maintained things in the world.

1 Like

I think these are pretty common at water parks now. The last two water parks that I visited had them, and I know that the Great Wolf Lodge franchise has them as one of their standard slides too.

2 Likes

at least there’s a countdown and a heads-up that way.

2 Likes

The one near La Grange, Georgia does. Spouse tried it once. Kiddo went down it at least twice, maybe more (I was nursing a migraine that day, so some details are fuzzy). They called it the “toilet flush” slide.

2 Likes

This was opened in 1983, it might have been the first installation of the freefall format of rides.

It was in Cedar Point until 2009 when it was moved to Pennsylvania where it still operates.

Drunken rides on this was a summer tradition when I was young and more stupid.

The wait for it to drop was the best part of the ride.

I would do the water slide except the last time I went to a water park years ago, when our kid was still young, the bandaids floating by creeped me out more than the rides.

Here’s a POV.

Another one from Cedar Point 0 to 120 mph in less than 4 seconds. The anticipation on this is also a killer.

1 Like