The sweetest tomatoes are underripe

Sweet is not the same as flavorful.

2 Likes

The tastiest variety I’ve experienced are gold medals. I always grow some more prolific types for eating and cooking, but the handful of gold medal tomatoes are always worth the wait.

I have more maters than I can possibly eat.
No room for mellons. . .

5 Likes

Such ‘heritage’ tomatoes taste infinitely better (and are meatier) than ‘modern’ ones. A couple of slices of those babies with sliced portabello mushrooms and large basil leaves on your favorite toasted bread, lightly drizzled with good virgin olive oil… an excellent sandwich!

4 Likes

Pictured: Dr Henry Brubaker during preliminary testing.
jVI6ByIsiiI8puFt1g8V8UIzF2L

3 Likes

That’s almost “two wrongs make a right”.

1 Like

You should keep this handy for situations like that.

2 Likes

While this is true, it’s also not the whole truth. A did a fair bit of literature review a while ago, and my memory is that the green parts of immature fruits and berries do contribute a bit to photosynthesis, but only contribute a small portion of the sugars in the fruit. In part this is because they have many fewer stomata, and also because their shape is not optimized for photosynthesis.

The majority of the sugars in fruit come from the leaves of the plant.

1 Like

It sounds crazy and unhealthy, but one of the best sandwiches I ever had was white bread, mayo, heirloom tomato and salt and pepper. DELICIOUS!!

5 Likes

Nothing to distract from the flavor of the tomato. Sometimes that’s exactly the right choice.

5 Likes

This is my go-to happy sandwich in summertime. And not thick white bread either; the ratios should be 2:1.

My other happy place is slices of green bell pepper with cream cheese on white bread with a sprinkle of salt.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.