The Thousand-Year-Rose refuses to die

Originally published at: The Thousand-Year-Rose refuses to die | Boing Boing

11 Likes

I wonder to what degree it’s the “original” plant. Roses can effectively clone themselves, so it could be genetically identical to the first plant, but probably sprouts off vines from new roots every certain number of decades that end up taking over.

10 Likes

I see a bush, but no buds?

10 Likes

Sounds like a first-timer trying to locate the clitoris.

15 Likes

Indeed, she will live on in our hearts, and on repeats.

11 Likes

Would a rose by any other name be as old?

5 Likes

We wont address the trend toward pubic hair removal over the last 30 years which makes your quip rather dated.

13 Likes

What can I say, it’s been a while since my first time.

7 Likes

Same.

They weren’t still calling it ‘bush’ by then, though.

2 Likes

From the link

The hearty plant slowly crept up the side of the apse for hundreds of years, and still continues to bud and bloom each year, producing pale pink flowers once a year (usually around May).

and @Shuck

the plant has been nearly destroyed a number of times throughout its history. Most notably the bush was nearly completely razed during the Second World War when Allied bombs annihilated the cathedral. Every bit of the plant above ground was destroyed, but from the rubble, new branches grew from the root that survived.

9 Likes

Yeah, though I suspect it’s not even the same roots (it seems to have multiple roots at the moment). Also, “well, the plant died, but another one grew on the same spot, so we’re going to call it the same plant” feels a bit sus. But I suppose talking about “individual” plants doesn’t even make a lot of sense in the first place with a situation like this, and the fact that a rose has grown on the spot for a millennium is the rare and interesting bit, no matter the details.

2 Likes

8 Likes

“A rose by any other name…”

3 Likes

Still has just as many thorns.

7 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Me, running up that road, running up that hill, running up that building. With no problems. Long may my thorns prick the fingers of man with my meager flowers! Les Fleurs du Mal!

7 Likes

Liked for the Kate Bush reference.

6 Likes

I went looking for pics of the whole thing in bloom. No luck.
The wiki has more info. The bush is a dog rose. Once a year blooming, fragrant, simple structure, and probably pink

4 Likes

So did I; same result.

2 Likes