The time it takes to be a woman

Doesn’t smell at all, lasts FOREVER.

2 Likes

Garnier Fructis was developed by and for people with olfactory nerve damage.

3 Likes

I’ve never really had much luck with stuff like that… anything without aluminum I’ve tried doesn’t work for me.
:cold_sweat:

Crystal® and its ilk aren’t aluminum-free. On the contrary: they’re nothing but potassium alum.

3 Likes

Ah, good to know. I think? So, do you know if that’s any better, or worse, or ?

If you don’t get how gender could be learned, this might help.

OTOH, if you already get it, watch yourself. Arguing for equivalence between gender and biological sex is hurtful and exclusionary.

I’m with you here—the video feels arbitrary and out of step with the routines of all the women I’ve known. And it’s hard to critique its methods, because they aren’t even mentioned.

5 Likes

I’ve yet to find a conclusive answer to this question myself. I’d say if that works for you, stick with it.

One piece of information I did find is that potassium aluminum sulfate has a lower aqueous solubility that most of the aluminum compounds used in mainstream antiperspirants. Lower solubility doesn’t necessarily mean it’s absorbed more poorly into the skin but in general the two are positively correlated so it’s very plausible.

Another thing I discovered, this time through my own experience, is that killing off the bacteria in the underarm will keep you fresh for most of the day. I did this for several months by misting 91% isopropyl alcohol. I’m not endorsing this practice, just thought it was interesting to note. Bacteria really are responsible for most of one’s underarm odors.

I use Secret Clinical Strength due to my med cocktail, which includes venlafaxine and bupropion. Either of these can make you sweat excessively but you’re almost guaranteed this side effect if taking them together. I keep looking for alternatives, though.

ETA: The result of my antibacterial experiment leaves open the possibility that it may be a matter of preventing only the proliferation of odor-causing bacteria. You don’t necessarily need antiseptics to achieve this. You can, in principle, get the same result through adversarial competition from non-odor causing bacteria. I googled ‘probiotic deodorant’ and sure enough, they exist.

5 Likes

No. That’s a common misunderstanding. Deodorants prevent odor by preventing bacterial growth, they do not break down or block existing smells.

Deodorants tackle the odour by targeting the bacteria. To do this, they contain antibacterial compounds, such as triclosan and chlorhexidine.

Speaking as someone currently in remission from breast cancer: avoiding aluminum in the underarm area near the lymph nodes (which means avoiding antiperspirants as a group) is high on the list you get from the oncologist.

8 Likes

I don’t understand what the difference is between “deodorants deodorize the scent” and “deodorants tackle the odor by…”. One just goes further to explain how the deodorization works.

And my main point was the categorical difference between deodorants and antiperspirants, which many people think of as interchangeable.

3 Likes

You post incorrectly implied that deodorants breakdown existing odors. They do not. If accuracy in distinguishing deodorants from antiperspirants is your goal then it’s prudent to get the mechanisms right

A true deodorant would be something that actually eliminates odors. Baking soda does this kinda sorta well. Zeolite does it incredibly well but (you saw this coming) it’s an aluminum-containing mineral and I’m not aware of any research on its topical use.

Deodorant-only products labelled as such have limited odor-reducing ability, which is why every one contains a masking fragrance.

No true deodorant!

4 Likes

Whoa whoa whoa, I don’t care if the wood makes you see unicorns every time you step on it, don’t lay down parquet in a kitchen over tile. Well, go ahead if you don’t mind sounding like a thundering beast every time you walk on it, are fine with you floor rotting from the inside out, and can deal with curry stains.

Form and function are equals, and I appreciate both.

2 Likes

Having or lacking testicles has nothing to do with gender, except that if you have them, you were most likely assigned male at birth.

12 Likes

Thanks, sounds good. I will try to find it over here (both locations).

Same problem over here. Tried a lot, also homemade stuff. And I really like the feeling and the idea. :frowning:

1 Like

No but there are other little things about being a guy you did learn, like ways of sitting, ways of talking, when it’s appropriate to cry and when it’s not, and probably like my example of learning to braid, certainly manly arts skills like learning to shave your face or learning to open a knife and hand it to someone, or how to change a tire, etc.

Actually - had to update this post - as I remember with my stepson a very specific and uncomfortable incident at the mall where he got a hardon out of the blue and I had to take him for a long walk around the mall to calm him down and teach him, here’s’ how you distract yourself and get that puppy down. He was like 9 or 10 and too young to really comprehend this new found penis trick. Like, I literally had to teach him how to deal with a hard on.

14 Likes

What do you mean “break down”? Covering up a smell isn’t the same thing as breaking chemical bonds.

And the distinction between a cosmetic and a drug is more substantial than “deodorize” versus “tackle the odor”, which as far as I can tell are synonyms.

SMH

3 Likes

Damn, this thread isn’t closed yet???

7 Likes

If this thread was a man, it would have been closed 3 days ago.

/s

11 Likes