The time it takes to be a woman

They are both bad names :smiley: Deodorant isn’t. It prevents odors. It does not remove odors.

But, speaking of stupidly scented products: mustache wax. A cheap smelling, annoying and totally unnecessary fragrance that you will smell all damn day long, and will negatively affect the taste of your food.

1 Like

I’ve barely used it (I should use it more, since my mustache hairs are so wild), but I haven’t noticed a scent. Maybe that single, unmemorably-named brand they carry at Rite-Aid is unusually unscented.

Hmm. Not sure it doesn’t do both. Some deodorants kill bacteria and add perfumes to already-stinky armpits.

Right, but it doesn’t actually make the smells the bacteria made go away - you still stink if you don’t wash your pits after you start stinking - it just prevents more odor from forming by preventing sweat and/or bacterial growth.

Agreed. It’s always best to construct arguments logically and without attack. However (bet you knew that was coming), rightly or no, I sympathize with the urge to veer into attack when you’ve explained yourself over decades and keep having the same. damn. discussion.

11 Likes

Male pattern deafness; it’s a helluva drug.

14 Likes

I honestly don’t care if my cis-female partners(*) shave their legs (or anywhere else, really) at all, yet I find it’s one of the things I do when I want to express as more feminine. (This is actually similar to my option of makeup on them.) This apparently means I have not internalized those markers as “something women do,” but I’ve somehow absorbed it as applies to me. Yeah, we’ve discussed it, as we do with everything, really, and there’s logic behind it, but it’s still kind of funny.

(* Nor do I expect my partners that are not cis-females to shave / apply makeup either, but oddly enough, I usually don’t have to specify this when discussing them.)

7 Likes

That is interesting; it’s not a preference for your partners, but it is for yourself when you present as female.

I’m not sure such a distinction would have ever even occurred to me before engaging trans or gender fluid people in conversation.

Also, thread needs more genderfuck queens…

9 Likes

The best logic we’ve been able to come up with in our discussions: since I’ve spent so much time presenting as male, with many of the gender normative references already mentioned here, when I present as female, my brain is searching for as many gender clues as possible that I can move to “female societal norm,” even if I don’t actually think any of these things are requirements for someone else to say “I’m female.”

Honestly, I know it never occurred to me to think about how I receive (or mostly ignore) gender clues from other people until I started experiencing this for myself. One of the weirdest was my sudden body image when I started trying on different dresses. Even my skinniest partner is more than a bit above average, with most of them over that. Frankly, I love my fat partners just as they are! (Nor do I consider ‘fat’ to be a negative word.) So imagine my surprise when I was trying on a dress that left me showing a prominent tummy bulge and my first words were “Good Gods, I look like I’m pregnant.” Followed by “Where the hell did that thought come from???” Yeah, that was a weird brain shift and one that I’m not entirely sure how to process. I did decide that I was OK looking pregnant, but I was going to tell anyone that asked, that it was my sweetie’s, @CosmicCat , who is also genderqueer!

12 Likes

That actually makes a lot of sense to me, and it speaks to just how much of our perspective is learned; being socialized from the very start.

10 Likes

I think the wording you chose (a few steps up) is actually really
significant. You don’t think of shaving and wearing makeup as things
that women do so much as you have been programmed to think of them as
things that men do not do. (Not that you would have any issue with a
male-identified person who did shave or wear cosmetics.) You’re not only
trying to express yourself as feminine; you’re also trying to separate
yourself from people’s assumptions of your masculinity. As we’ve discussed
before, feminine dress can be something as simple as jeans and a t-shirt.
You need to go beyond what is deemed feminine and outwardly emasculate your
presentation.

8 Likes

Why is that? Specifically Garnier Fructis?

How hard is it to not strip a patent application of it’s context? It’s got a title. It’s got a number. why would you crop those out?

http://www.google.com.uy/patents/US298067

1 Like

I didn’t personally edit the image; I just snagged one of the first images that turned up in the results.

9 Likes

It’s really hilarious, and I was completely stumped when I saw the brand.

Axe. And normally it’s a brand I would walk with a big circle around, heavy, cheap, annoying smells, which literally can hurt. And make the same move when people are wearing it. And I really really dislike there advertisements and what they try to say/there message.
You see, you never know how things happen.

Maybe its because this one is a ‘antiperspirant’/‘anti-transpirant’ and even the packaging is not Axe-like:

It smells not heavy and when I put my nose in my armpit I only smell sandalwood or ceder.

7 Likes

My daughter has several trans friends, and I have one who is a gender studies PhD candidate, so in our family we have a lot of discussions about stuff like this. It’s surprising when you wake up and realize how learned gender is. One day my daughter came home from school and told me she and another girl had taught their friend (trans woman) to braid. I never would have thought of learning to braid as a certain right of passage for a girl, but really, what girl doesn’t learn to do it at some point? And for men, I would say it is an optional skill.

Shaving is not really a thing I feel I must do, but then I am blonde so it sort of doesn’t matter as far as my legs being visibly hairy. I like the feel of shaved legs and clean sheets.

9 Likes

Deodorants deodorize the scent; antiperspirants block the creation of sweat.

This is why deodorants are considered ‘cosmetics’ and antiperspirants are considered ‘drugs’ (they change the normal workings of the body).

5 Likes

The things you learn on the internet!

3 Likes

This is biased right from the start, because it assumes men don’t do skin care… I do. It also assumes all women wear that much make-up and do all that eyelash stuff… My wife doesn’t, nor has any of the women I’ve dated. In fact, my wife doesn’t wear any make-up on a daily basis. It also assumes all women color their hair… which I find doubtful… This seems to be comparing a very high maintenance woman (which is a choice) to the average man. Hardly an unbiased comparison.

Yeah… I really had to study having testicles… {rolls eyes}

For what it’s worth, I use and Every Man Jack Cedar wood deodorant. Normally, I’m a no-fragrances sort of guy, but this stuff smells pretty alright. Works, too!

2 Likes