The time it takes to be a woman

Its like Craig Fergusons face when he realizes women dont like wearing bras.

http://hencethe.tumblr.com/post/136748441872/meryylstreep-thank-you-carrie-fisher-they

11 Likes

8 Likes

There’s an exhibit at my museum right now that features some art that is various sculptures of bras. There’s a bra made of handcuffs. One made of cacti. One made of taxidermied hedgehogs (don’t tell Nemo). And I point out how these artist have really captured the experience of wearing a bra every day and the dudes get really uncomfortable.

25 Likes

Obligatory:

You’re welcome.

Anyone with the courage to be who they are inside, regardless to what the world thinks, is my hero.

19 Likes

I’m pretty sure Georgia isn’t in the Midwest, yes.

1 Like

Texas?

https://thinkprogress.org/texas-woman-harassed-for-using-the-womens-restroom-18d97035f0b2#.qtiwrgc9u

4 Likes

You know, the title to this post in a more general sense could add years.
Mansplaining, responses to inane criticisms, fending off unwanted sexual advances or threats/microaggressions, etc. must take up an inordinate amount of a woman’s time.

18 Likes

I’m not sure who this video is for, really. Anyone who didn’t already know all of this before watching the video is going to be the sort of person who would just dismiss the woman as less efficient than the man, validating their own previously held opinion.

1 Like

Sure. The professional judgement against women who choose not to spend the extra time in grooming can be severe. The clearest example? If you are in formal business environment, failing to wear competent makeup can be considered as unprofessional as failing to wear a tie. Except it takes a lot longer to competently apply makeup than wear a tie.

Moreover, for those working in casual working environments, the judgement against one’s professionalism is much more severe for slobbishness in women than in men. Simply put., the social expectation for decent grooming is much higher for women and the penalty for violating such expectations are higher as well.

The icing on the cake is, of course, is that women then get considered more shallow, vain, and less professional because they spend more time in personal grooming to meet those higher standards.

21 Likes

I think Texans would take issue with it being called the Midwest.

Since it’s not in the Midwest.

It’s sort of funny, though, that you’re using two examples based on trans panic. I’m thinking it’d be hilarious for trans-panic to be more than a fringe movement here, because imho there are a lot of women here who fail the “looks mannish” test. That’s not strictly appearance-shaming, that is (imho, could be wrong) that so many of us are descended from hardier pioneers.

I’ve seen women with short haircuts, pants, and flannel shirts walk into the women’s restroom without incident, quite a bit. You have two examples from Southern states.

I’m sure it happens, and I wasn’t specifically talking about “butch” women, more just…women dressed in practical clothes, I guess.

First of all,

Ru Paul is not a woman. Ru Paul is a gay man who’s a cross dresser. There’s a big difference; one exists to validate and express one’s internal identity; the other exists to have and make fun of identity.

I admit I don’t have many openly gay friends; truth be told, being a loner, I don’t have many friends, period. But intertwining cross-dressing and transgender issues is troublesome because, quite frankly, some cross-dressers do so to poke fun at people they don’t like. I may be a man, but I’ve known gay men who hated women, and have had that conversation with women that have experienced misogynist gay men. It happens.

They’re not required to like women, of course, but let’s not pretend that it’s okay to hate on women.

I may be a straight man, but I never totally fit the straight male stereotype as a kid. Anything considered “effeminate” was something to beat up someone else over. Y’had to beat it out of 'em early before they turned into Ru Paul, y’know.

Maybe check out what the man himself says about drag and it’s role in understanding identity…

Also, Judith Butler or a summary of her argument about drag and the performance of gender:

But of course some drag performers can be misogynistic, but so can, literally anyone else on the planet. I honestly don’t think that drag performers are any more sexist than any other man. Some less so. And of course, some drag performers are also transgendered:

13 Likes

#Thank you.

I can’t even, and so I’m not even going to try.

I’m just gonna drag the house down.

8 Likes

As liberally, as to a Midwife, shew
Thy self: cast all, yea, this white linen hence,
There is no penance due to innocence.
To teach thee, I am naked first; why then
What needst thou have more covering than a man.

I know quoting Donne is problematic, especially since here he’s really just trying to get a woman in bed faster, but these lines came to mind because it’s mostly men who pushed for all the extras in the first place.

2 Likes

Um, no. Recognizing privilege and engaging in stereotypes are two vastly different things.

19 Likes

It ain’t arbitrary. It’s patriarchy.

16 Likes

I’m not arguing, just reading stuff while I wait for a friend to show up.

I had a haircut today. As per usual I always get a scissor cut, cause I like to look slightly disheveled. I also take baths, not showers, cause they feel nicer. And I had a mani-pedi two weeks ago.

Perhaps I’m privy to a super sekret, but women may be on to something :smiley:

6 Likes

I’d say you’re failing to recognize, because it doesn’t advance your narrative, that stereotypes can be true and still be stereotypes. In both cases you’re assuming to know something about an individual based on their membership in a group.

1 Like

which you totally aren’t doing. Okay then.

5 Likes

I never claimed it was about the individual. We’re all snowflakes and I honestly respect that, across all the spectrum of gender. But this much I know is true: Male privilege exists. And in this particular case, to argue that the amount of grooming that women are expected to do versus what society expects of men, that somehow what women do with moisturizing and makeup and clothing and on and on is wholly an individual choice, that it has nothing to do with privilege, well, that’s a very stereotypical argument that I grow exhausted of having.

20 Likes

14 Likes